Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Electronic injection

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RpmHead
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Electronic injection Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm thinking of installing a modern data injection in my 16V. Have been looking at the DIY type called MegaSquirt. Since the engine allready has separate throttlebodies from factory the conversion will be quite cheap, I hope.... But the probmen is the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). I have to exchange it with a fully linear one, because the ML4.1 type just has some fixed step. Any tips?

Have any of you converted from the ML4.1 to a modern type without the air restricting AFM?
'69 Giulia Super
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
alfistjen
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find some inspiration on these sites Very Happy

http://www.alfaboxertuning.fws1.com/
http://www.beymo.de/html/racing.html

Regards!

Paul D.
RpmHead
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul!

I was thinking about MegaSquirt, it's a DIY kit.
www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html or the AVR-based http://www.vems-group.org/

Any experiences?

Regards,

Stian
'69 Giulia Super
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
lesthegringo
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: TPS Reply with quote

You can buy a decent throttle position sensor for about €40, but the Emerald M3D system I bought came complete with one.

have a look

www.alfasprint16v.fws1.com

Les
Edward
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Yes you can have a seperate throttle position switch that is quite easy to obtain, my engine is very similar to the one that Les describes on his site except I kept the original throttle bodies and have an MBE system for the mapping. I did have to buy a seperate TPS as mine did not come with one. I obtained mine from Omex, but you have to make a seperate little mounting plate to fit the TPS onto the spindle. Half an hour with some tin snips, a drill and some small files whilst waiting for the kettle to boil for a second time was enough to do it. Let me know if you want the Omex part number.
RpmHead
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: TPS Reply with quote

lesthegringo wrote:
You can buy a decent throttle position sensor for about €40, but the Emerald M3D system I bought came complete with one.
have a look
www.alfasprint16v.fws1.com

Hi, Les. Very nice site you got there, been there many times.
But what is the reason that you have been using the ekstra intake
plates from the carb version under the original throttlebodies? http://www.alfasprint16v.fws1.com/images/sprint006.jpg
Have you been doing the mapping on a dyno?
'69 Giulia Super
RpmHead
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edward wrote:
Hello,
Yes you can have a seperate throttle position switch that is quite easy to obtain, my engine is very similar to the one that Les describes on his site except I kept the original throttle bodies and have an MBE system for the mapping. I did have to buy a seperate TPS as mine did not come with one. I obtained mine from Omex, but you have to make a seperate little mounting plate to fit the TPS onto the spindle. Half an hour with some tin snips, a drill and some small files whilst waiting for the kettle to boil for a second time was enough to do it. Let me know if you want the Omex part number.

Hi, Edward.

Have you got any pictures of your engine that I can take a look at?
If I'm correct the original TPS have just got three positions or so.
Can I use it with a ex. MBE or do I have to use a linear type of TPS?
'69 Giulia Super
Sprintervention
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: 16V Throttle Bodies on 8V Reply with quote

Anyone know what would be involved in getting the 16V throttle bodies to match up to an 8V engine? I would envisage that the bolt pattern is different, but an adapter plate may do it. Any ideas or information on the standard 16V bodies?

I am going to try and get a megasquirt ECU to control them, but I need to get them to fit first. I know that the Alfa TPS is not up to the job but I am sure that a linear TPS could be retro-fitted fairly easily.

Having looked into the Megasquirt ECU it seems to me to be a pretty effective tool and definitely the cheapest method of getting programmable injection on an Alfa.

Regards
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BOSCH TPS No 0280 122 001 is what you need for a Megasquirt conversion.

You can use this part off an Opel (Vauxhall to the brits) Vectra 2.0 -95 etc or from most Volvo 850 engines.
RpmHead
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edward wrote:
Let me know if you want the Omex part number.

Hi Edward!

Yes, please give me the OMEX part number.
'69 Giulia Super
RpmHead
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
The BOSCH TPS No 0280 122 001 is what you need for a Megasquirt conversion.

You can use this part off an Opel (Vauxhall to the brits) Vectra 2.0 -95 etc or from most Volvo 850 engines.

Is this TPS just bolt-on or do I need to make som sort of an adapter plate?

I'm also looking at the Ford EDIS distributorless conversion (Megasquirt'n'spark extra), anybody know how many notches it's on the flywheel for the crankshaft position sensor on the 16V?
'69 Giulia Super
Sprintervention
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: EDIS crank sensors Reply with quote

I have done some pretty deep research into some of this. Helps when you have a complete wiring loom and 16V motor on the workshop floor. Firstly the 16V motor has a 60-2 crank toothed wheel. 60 positions, 2 missing.

As far as I know the Megajolt EDIS system will only configure to a ford timing wheel, 36-1 I think from memory, I have two Megajolt systems made up. I was going to Megajolt an 8V race motor that I have but got a 16V motor intead.

As far as the TPS is concerned I don't know whether it is bolt-on but I would like to know as I intend to install the engine with the standard injection set-up, then install EDIS then Megasquirt with TPS sensing. The only problem is that the Motronic AFM has the air temperature sensor built into it, any suggestions?

Regards
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: EDIS crank sensors Reply with quote

Sprintervention wrote:
I have done some pretty deep research into
only problem is that the Motronic AFM has the air temperature sensor built into it, any suggestions?

Thank you for the reply.
Regarding the air temp sensor in standard AFM you have to mount an external sensor when using the Megasquirt inj. Just use a standard Bosch sensor (just a thermistor) and place it in either the airbox og air pipe.
RpmHead
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: EDIS crank sensors Reply with quote

[quote="Anonymous"]
Sprintervention wrote:

Thank you for the reply.
Regarding the air temp sensor in standard AFM you have to mount an external sensor when using the Megasquirt inj. Just use a standard Bosch sensor (just a thermistor) and place it in either the airbox og air pipe.

Sorry, forgot to log in. Confused
And I meant GM (AC Delco), not Bosch. Sorry for the mess.
'69 Giulia Super
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: