A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

brakes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how did you get on ben?

I just had my brakes tested again and this time the rears locked both sides on the foot brake and one side on hand brake, even though the braking force is the same on both sides.
I don't get this as my shoes need replacing along with my pads, weird.
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigAl wrote:
how did you get on ben?

One car was within the acceptable range once the rear flexible brake hoses were replaced (although for a while afterward the rear brakes would drag sometimes and one or both drums would get hot and smell).
I swapped the drums over on the other car and it made no difference, although by this time the WOF inspector guy knew me pretty well and he was sympathetic, letting me pass anyway. He said the brake balance wasn't that far beyond the limits and it would probably improve once the shoes bedded in to the different drums. Wink
So I'm over this issue again until 6 months from now! Mad
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolio
You have your wof every 6 months, unlucky you, ours is yearly but i like to check mine every 6 months when i service my car, doing an oil change ect. I was mistaken, my rear shoes have plenty of meat on them still, they just needed adjusting up again as the self adjuster is obviously not doing what it says on the can!! So i just replaced my front pads and will re-adjust the rears when i get a replacement bearing. I didn't think swapping your drums would make a difference, i would just adjust the "self adjuster" with a long thin screwdriver, we are getting to know our brakes very well Laughing
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think adjusting the self-adjuster would make any difference to anything but the pedal travel no matter what the issue was.

WOF inspections are annual on new cars, but not old stuff like 33s. Given how useless the average motorist is though, imagine how many blown bulbs they'd all have if the inspections were less frequent...
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_nz wrote:
So I'm over this issue again until 6 months from now! Mad

It's 6 months from now, if you know what I mean.
My grey 1.5 strangely got through its WOF with no brake balance problems, but my black 1.7 failed AGAIN with the left rear brake 30% stronger than the right rear brake AGAIN. Evil or Very Mad
I really need to find a WOF testing garage without independent brake-testing roller thingies. Wink
The grey car has had a new brake bias valve put in at great expense, which at the time did nothing to help the balance problem. Both cars have had the flexible brake hoses going to the rear axle replaced, and I've played with adjusting brakes and swapping drums in the past with occasional temporary success. But it's always the right drum that's weaker, and it has happened to both my cars. I want to know what causes it and I want a permanent fix!
Today ALFA stands for "Aggravating Latent Fault Appears!".. "Aww Look, Failed Again!"
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ben.

It may be a long shot but try to blow compressed air all the way from the brake MC to the rear bleeding nipple.

Disconnect the brake line nut from the MC and place a rag on the other end of the line at the wheel cylinder. Compressed air will probably remove any rust bits inside the line and it will clean the inside.

This suggestion was proposed to this very forum when my front right brake were missing 400N force comprared to the other side. I had replaced everything except the metal lines with no obvious remedy. Compressed air removed all debris and the brakes over the front axle were balanced.

Hope this helps

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum