Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Front Wheel Bearings

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevnz
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Front Wheel Bearings Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
My left front wheel bearing is starting to make rather alarming grinding sounds, its been getting worse for a while if the truth is to be told. I've read some of the past posts on the subject and making the special tool is a bit beyond me, has anyone had any luck pushing the nut around with a punch?

Taking it to a garage is the other option, but would they have the same (tool) problem and end up shagging about a lot costing me a bundle?

Any advice welcome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: The locknut Reply with quote

Hi

It may open with a punch or You may have to carefully cut the ring. You need a press to get the old bearing out so the garage is an option, too.

My 2cents

TimoJ 33 1,5ti -89 (-15c in Finland) Confused
PJ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: wheel bearing Reply with quote

Just putting my cowboy hat on for a mo.
You may find that the roller bearing which has the moving parts is the part that has worn and the pressed-in seat is OK. If this is the case you can just change the roller part - piece of cake and the noise will disappear - have done it myself on 33 rears with no probs. Of course, you should always change both parts, but it's up to you.
If noise is still there then you need to change the pressed in seat aswell.
Yee-harr ! Wink
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The outer race of both bearings can be removed with a drift without any great drama.
Regards Eddie
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: