Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Broken release bearing

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
micap
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:55 am    Post subject: Broken release bearing Reply with quote

All the time I have had my car the clutch release bearing has been rattling and noisy, which I believe is a sign of it being more or less broken. The car shakes when starting unless you give it some revs, and also shakes a bit when pulling from low revs, and I blame the release bearing for this. But once in a while the car stops making those noises, and pulls a lot nicer. Could this be because the release bearing is about the brake totally, and would the shaking stop if I change the bearing? Is it possible to change the bearing alone or do I need a new clutch?

ex 89 1.7 QV
now 85 1.5 QV with 1.7 engine.
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Broken release bearing Reply with quote

micap wrote:
All the time I have had my car the clutch release bearing has been rattling and noisy, which I believe is a sign of it being more or less broken. The car shakes when starting unless you give it some revs, and also shakes a bit when pulling from low revs, and I blame the release bearing for this. But once in a while the car stops making those noises, and pulls a lot nicer. Could this be because the release bearing is about the brake totally, and would the shaking stop if I change the bearing? Is it possible to change the bearing alone or do I need a new clutch?

You just described badly damaged bearing which is playing all over clutch cover , as it usualy happens clutch cover is one that needs also replacing.
In my case it was clutch cover that had olympic crircles all over, and only 3 leafs left about to collapse, all other 10-12 leafes were eaten in midle.

And all of that happen only after 20k km with expencive original AR clutch kit placed, it was poorly design bearing cover (notice that bearing itself was in mint condition) that made all problems, also clutch disc/plate was badly burned it was hard as a bone.

From that day on, I use only SKF thrust bearing for my 33, because they have nicely done bearing cover, which will not fall off.

I must say that on 10k km I noticed different clutch pedal feel, and went to my garage but none of mechanics noticed it, and said that it could be bearing but to just keep on driving, not telling me at that time that cheapest part of them all could ruin everything, of course they told me that when I got problems like yours on 20k, I was ready to kill someone because of it.

Tino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot for the answer. If I am to repair this problem, exactly what parts would be needed for the operation?
Ian M
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Clutch Reply with quote

AS far as I am aware you will only get a thrust bearing with a complete clutch kit as they are specific to the make of the kit.
If you put any bearing in it may not be compatable with your clutch and could cause more damage.
My advice would be as you have to drop the gearbox to change the thrust bearing you should change the clutch as well.
The rattling of the bearing is sometimes caused by wear on the shaft and the release lever and not necessarily bearing wear.
They quite often rattle at tick-over and go quiet when you push the pedal down,if it still makes a noise when pedal is pressed then you can be pretty sure its F****D
Hope this helps,good luck with it Ian...
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Reply with quote

Ian M wrote:
AS far as I am aware you will only get a thrust bearing with a complete clutch kit as they are specific to the make of the kit.
If you put any bearing in it may not be compatable with your clutch and could cause more damage.

As I said here in Croatia you can buy thrust bearing by itself.
Original AR part clutch kit was made by Valeo, so everything had AR logo on it along with small print Made for AR by Valeo. So that is all I have to say about original clutch kit and specific bearing within of it. Sad(
As I bought later another Valeo clutch kit, I had newer version of that thrust bearing which had one of 2 problems fixed.
1. problem which made initial damage was plastic seat/case where clucth fork pushes it, after some time one of plastic wings holding fork in place would be eaten away and bearing would start to move.
2. thin bearing cover holding it to plastic case. (this is so stupidly made that even slightes touch of it with clutch cover will turn it into shreds)
In case of scenario 1. it is only matter of time when scenario 2 will happen.

So they fixer No.1 by puting thicker metal part into plastic case, so fork don't touch plastic case directly any more, but problem No.2 is still same.

I agree with you that bearing inside clutch kit should be optimised for clutch cover, but I rather risk MAYBE eating a little sooner clutch cover because bearing is nicely protected, then to have all 3 burned to the crust in less then 20k km because of stupid design.

Tino
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: