Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Indicator Stalks Don't Self Park - Failed Roadworthy HELP!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmmoss
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Indicator Stalks Don't Self Park - Failed Roadworthy HELP! Reply with quote

Hi there!
I have just bought a super Alfa 33 1.5 4c 1987 in Melbourne with Air Conditioning. My problem is that the car just failed its RoadWorthy test for having indicator stalks which don't return to the off position after taking a corner (you have to push them back by hand). I know some old cars had this problem as standard, but did the Alfa 33? If it didn't, what could be wrong and how can I fix it? Thanks!
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Indicator Stalks Don't Self Park - Failed Roadworthy HEL Reply with quote

jmmoss wrote:
Hi there!
I have just bought a super Alfa 33 1.5 4c 1987 in Melbourne with Air Conditioning. My problem is that the car just failed its RoadWorthy test for having indicator stalks which don't return to the off position after taking a corner (you have to push them back by hand). I know some old cars had this problem as standard, but did the Alfa 33? If it didn't, what could be wrong and how can I fix it? Thanks!

Hi there

the problem is a small piece of plastic on the stearing column has broken off,which has i think about two or three fingers on it. as you turn the wheel it clicks the stalk back into place.but if its broken,then it mises and the stalk stayes where it is. to get to it you will have to take the stearing wheel off.
hope this makes some sense Confused

all the best john

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
GaryUK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are in the UK I have several control sticks for Mk2's you can have
Buck Bundy
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Eh? Reply with quote

The Mk2 Sprint never used to return. It was even mentioned in the original Autocar road test in 1983.

If it didn't return by design, would it still fail the test?

Buck

P.s. I think I am glad to be in the UK for once, no road test in our MOT test!
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you switch it off where's the fault? I've seen hundreds of new cars whereby the drivers don't switch off the indicators on the motorway after changing lanes.

In some regions in Aus there's no speedlimit, yet you have this test? Laughing
Maze123
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!

I had the same problem with my 33 when I bought it, and Johnboy is right. It's caused by a broken (or worn) piece of plastic on the steering column. In my case, it was because the column stalk was broken, so the tap on the column stalk, which the piece of plastic on the steering column should hit to make the stalk return to off, was stuck so it couldn't move..that resulted in a worn piece of plastic on the steering column. So first I had to find another column stalk, and then fix the plastic piece on steering column by applying a little bit of glue to it to reshape it. It lasts for about 6 months, then I have to do it again.. Smile Another option is to use the column stalks from a series 3, and that’s what I'm about to do, but it requires a little bit of rewiring, and I've faced some problems with that..

Regards
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: