Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Just found original spark plugs in a 1987 33!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmmoss
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Just found original spark plugs in a 1987 33! Reply with quote

Hi there!
After emigrating to Australia a month ago I bought a 1987 33 1.5 4c in good condition for $2600 (around 1000 pounds). I have been busy tinkering - changing the oil, filters etc and just got around to changing the spark plus today. I was in for a shock - the plugs were black, the metal contact at the tip like a upside down L was broken off on each old plug, and they were also gritty and very brittle. They have the brand "Golden Lodge 25hl" on, and I don't think these were ever available in Australia, and think these may be the orginals on my 160000 km car! I can't believe the other owners and garages who serviced the car never bothered to change the plugs, and from the state of the plugs, it was a wonder the engine was going at all! In the UK, garages change spark plugs at every service without even asking - every 6000 miles / 10,000km. I know Australia has the more "don't fix it unless it is broke" attitude like America has, but this is amazing! Or is this standard practice amongst members here? The car does not really feel much different with the new plugs, but I have only driven it around the block.
Also, anybody know if "Golden Lodge" really are the orginal factory fitted plugs?
Errol
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! About the ' dont fix it unless its broke attitude', well that probably applies to people who dont care much for their car. The car enthiusiast here in Australia will always look after their car. In the UK they change spark plugs every 10,000km? On my series 3 16v it says change every 80,000km!!!! Shocked
Falken 195 low profile
K&N Pod filter
Cannon 2inch exhaust from cat-back with 3inch tip.
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Well also here in Greece the time interval between spark plugs change is 10,000kms along with air and oil filter . In addition, oil change is every 5000kms.

The Golden Lodge 25HL are spark plugs that Alfa recommeneds - yes they are the original ones. Also many other models of Alfa during the 70's(Julia, Veloce, Alfetta) use these spark plugs.

Regards

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Marcin
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In the UK they change spark plugs every 10,000km? On my series 3 16v it says change every 80,000km!!!!

16v were often fitted with platina coated spark plugs, which need changing every 100.000km (one hunderd thousand). For the "regular" plugs this interval is much shorter.

Cheers

Marcin
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the plugs were black, the metal contact at the tip like a upside down L was broken off on each old plug

Recommended plugs are multi-electrode, and don't have a metal contact at the tip - they have contacts inside the rim of the plug - so they were not broken and didn't need fixing ! Smile

Cheers
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, golden lodge were stock fitting for australia, and should have long since been changed...

uk mechs change plug every 6,000km?? thats a bit of overkill dont ya think...?

2600AUD for a series 2 1.5 33? i hope its in VERY good nick, otherwise u got done a bit.. Shocked

where in melbourne are you? i'm a melbournian alfisti too, (heart of the city) but moving away from boxers onto a gtv6 project... i accidently went porsche shopping recently, but decided they didnt do anything for me and have thus returned to teh alfa fold, economics be damned !

cheers

joe

(frmrly joey, but it wont let me log in!!, who took me name?? ye bastards)
jmmoss
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, thanks for the replies.
I am in Blackburn, a nice quiet suburb of Melbourne. I have been going to the Italian Workshop in town to get things fixed. I could hang out in there all day looking at the Sprints, Alfasuds and GTV6's in there getting worked on! Melbourne seems like old Alfa heaven as they don't rust so much in the warmer climate and the large Italian population keeps interest levels up. I have seen about 3 other 33's around here in Blackburn, all Series 2, as Australia only got the first couple of years of the last series before Alfa pulled out of Australia from 1991ish until 1998 I think. So there is no 155's, no 145's or 146's here - not much of a shame really because the 33 were better cars. $2600 was about the average price for 33's in this condition, there was a few old dogs for around $1500 in the tradingpost, but the one I went for had air conditioning which is a bit rare I think? Or rare that it actually works at least! The dealers were asking up to $6999 for 80's 33's!

So, someone posted I didn't really need to change them - surely old spark plugs will create high emissions, higher fuel consumption and less power due to a weakened spark?

I meant no offence by saying there is a "don't fix it unless it is broke" approach over here (at least on old cars) - If I had done this over the years I would be $1000's richer I am sure and there would be less old car parts in the landfills - I guess it depends on how long you keep the car and whether little niggles anoy you enough to get them fixed.
Cheers,
JON

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey,

nah my friend that is purely aussie humour, taking the mickey.. of course swap plugs, but 6,000km interval is extreme, as is never IMO..

i guess on reflection 2600AUD aint bad for a decent nick 33..

FYI australia did get series 3 33's but only the 1.7L QV, but only very few, the p4 varient rarer still.

on the 155, personally i wouldnt mind the 155 q4... mmmm

as for alfa haven.. i guess u are right in a way, but IMO i would fancy a move to the US... check out ebay.com - i like to torment myself there once in a while, perving at all the mint conditon gtv6s and 80s spiders that can be had for just a couple of grand USD or AUD for that matter !

if u want an alfa beater, u can even pick up the much maligned platnium milano (2.5 75 to us) for a few hundred ! step up to the 164 for not too much... here in comparison, u could easy spend 20grand for a comparable spider and at least 10 for a gtv6.... its just not fair. Sad ... but i guess the prices reflect the popularity which is an indication of the alfisti in AU i guess !

cheers and sorry for the rant !

joe
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum