Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Rear Bushes

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Doc
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Rear Bushes Reply with quote

Any tips on fitting the new bushes I've just got for the rear of my series 3? Part no. 60501911 from Alfa seem slightly larger than the ones I've pulled out... The drift that took the old ones out is not quite hitting the plastic edge of the new ones! Bushes are in the freezer as I write and the arms in the airing cupboard!
Marcin
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

just two weeks ago I replaced the rear bushes of my series 3. Indeed, the brand new bushes have larger uncompressed diameter than the old ones. Because they are hard to replace (or acutally hard to fit), the mechanic at an Alfa dealership told me, that they replace the complete arm instead of just bushes Surprised But it didn't discourage me...

I bought a large steel washer with outer diameter 42mm, brought it down to a diameter slightly less than the suspension arm opening. I used the washer to push the old bush out and the new bush into the suspension arm. I used a vice as a press (unfortunately, no hydraulic press at home!).

The hardest part was the installation of the new bushes. Because the bush is larger than the opening, it actually becomes even thicker when you try to force it into the opening. To avoid this, I bought adjustable clapms (the metal ones, that you can tighten with a screw, often used for fixing rubber hoses). I tightened the clamp over the bush, so it wouldn't expand during the pressing.
Also make sure, that the edge of the bush, which is cut 45degrees inside (probably to make fitting easier...) is free from rubber.

It takes some patience, but can be done. I have to admit, that it took me one day to replace the rear bushes on one side of the car, but now I've got the strategy, the other side shoud go much faster.

Good luck

Marcin
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: