Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Choke Problems

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Box_me2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:59 am    Post subject: Choke Problems Reply with quote

When I first got my 87 33 1.7 the choke was working fine, however I am unable to pull it out far enough now for it to have any effect. Any suggestions? Joel
Ian M
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont worry too much about it because they do start ok without it...mine has not been working (well it works but you have to get under the bonnet to cancel it) for a long long time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had a 33 or twin-twin carbed sud with a choke on they simply don't need it.
ChrisC
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: adf Reply with quote

Sounds like the cable is working its way loose. pull it through (at the carb end obviously) some more and tighten.
sudman
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've never had a need for the choke on either of my two 1.5 engines or the 1.7. And it fires every time on a cold (-3) Christchurch morning, no troubles at all.
Matt Stolton
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: Don't use the choke at all Reply with quote

Useing the choke is more problematic than it is worth. The carbs (particulalrly Webers) tend to get the choke mechanism slightly jammed when you release the choke lever, leaving you with partial choke on a warm engine. This eventually releases itself with time, but leaves you with eratic idle on a warm engine. I actually ended up disconnecting my choke cable.

The best way to start the 8V carbed engines (from cold), is to fully depress the accelerator 4 times, then hold the accelerator fully open and turn the starter. As it fires, immedietly lessen the accelerator to give you 1000-1500 rpm. Rememeber to keep the tach in the green until your engine temp is up to 80!!

For warm, just holding your accelerator at half way should be enough to start, but the old full depression before may be needed due to tune of your particular engine/actaul temp etc.

Carbs are more effort, but are so much more rewarding if you get them right. I chanced across my old '1.7 Ti' at Clovertech on Tuesday (the new owner missed putting it into 2nd gear, floored it to a daft RPM, and clipped two valves). It was sitting outside idling to get its hydraulic lifters to stop their chatter after the headwork, but the carbs sounded almost i.e. in their efficiency and stability. With any movement of the accelerator, the revs moved perfectly with no hesitation or flat spots, just a very gratifying roar (I fitted trumpets some time ago Very Happy ). With proper setup,carbs are very very good things. It even starts in a blink of the eye.

Matt

Ex Alfa 33 'GTA' (P4 with Knobs On)
Now cruising in a 166 3.2 Ti!!
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The best way to start the 8V carbed engines (from cold), is to fully depress the accelerator 4 times, then hold the accelerator fully open and turn the starter. As it fires, immedietly lessen the accelerator to give you 1000-1500 rpm. Rememeber to keep the tach in the green until your engine temp is up to 80!!

So you don't use the choke, you just keep a little accelerator pressure to prevent the car from stalling until it's warm?
The trouble I have is that before my engine's warm, I usually have to brake for some reason. The second I take my foot off the gas to use the brake, the car stalls. Braking with the handbrake or my left foot until the motor's warm enough to idle on its own is a bit dodgy. Confused
Ian M
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a bit of toe & heel...the pedals are so close you can operate brake & accelerator with the right foot...steady pressure on the brake while blipping the throttle will keep it going leaving the left foot free for changing down the box...simple!! Laughing
paddy granger
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest warming the car up before setting off! Wink
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would suggest warming the car up before setting off!

Well, I always let it idle for 20~30 secs to let the oil circulate etc, but I don't really want to get up 10 mins earlier and sit in my driveway wasting fuel if I don't have to. And what about those days when you've got passengers? "Sorry, do you mind if we sit here a while? Can't drive the car yet, it'll stall."
<passenger> "Hah! What a silly old car you have. Rolling Eyes"
I've started practicing the heel-toe thing.
DaveNZ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well.....i always let my car warm up before i leave for 2 reasons

1. it drives much nicer when i do hit the road.
2. there will be less engine wear.

I also make a point of not giving it stick until it is fully warmed up. Your car will love you for it.

Dave
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After spending hundreds of bucks at Italian Auto Centre, my car runs much better. =)

Before, the choke would work properly for 20~30 secs then the engine revs would just drop and the car would stall, leaving me with stalling and spluttering and missing and carry-on until the engine temp got to nearly 60. Warm idle regularly had 'character' and car wouldn't idle on hills.

The mechanics replaced carb floats, all under-bonnet fuel lines (no more electrical tape on frayed bits!), distributor cap and rotor (both pretty worn), spark plugs, air filter, and did a tune-up..
Lazy me just cleaned a few earth connections. The washer on the ignition coil earth broke in two when I took the nut off. Shocked

Now the car doesn't act up, idles smoothly, feels faster (yay!), and if I wanted to leave it idling until it warmed up, I could do so without having to sit in the car trying to keep the motor going and filling the neighbourhood with unburnt petrol smell.
Box_me2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks heaps for all your help... the heal and toe thing is a lot of fun! Cool
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: