Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

starter change

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: starter change Reply with quote

how easy is it to change the startes on a 33 1.7ie 92?? Recently every time i turn the engine on i here a horrible SCREEEETCH sound that lasts exactly the first secind and then it goes away..My dad recons the starter just doesnt go back in place and keeps on rubbing against something (didn't quite understand how it works) anyways what do u guys recon? is it the starter and if it is how easy of a DYI is it..cuz i can buy a new starter for very cheap so then how easy would it b to replace and...more importantly how to do it...and if it aint the starter then what could it b..mersi for all possible suggestions
GaryUK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worn thrust bearing in the clutch or alternator belt slipping?? Put water on belt then start up no screetch then it's the belt. Similary get a hose and put water into the clutch bell housing via the top inspection hole. In both cases the sound might not disapear but if it changes then you have your culprit.
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also commonly a powersteer belt. The startermotor change is a 30 min. job and fairly self evident.
Regards Eddie
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Well some months ago I also had this problem - when the engine had made only a few revs , i was listening the starters motor's gear crunching on the flywheel.

I then removed the motor along with my father. The steps were:
Take out the ECU that is blocking the way to the starter motor, undo the wires that go to the motor itself (remember their position) and remove it by unscrewing two bolts (if i remeber well)

Then work on the bench - you will see that the motor has also one extra cylinder that this is actually the electromagnet that triggers the gear to the flywheel. This electromagnet operates a small rod (looks like a cylinder) that pulls the gear. This rod has dirt and debris accumulated which does not allow it to get back to its position freely. It is being stuck and the gear is crunching on the flywheel. Just clean it out, put some grease and you will have your starter motor hearing like new . In fact I recalled the sound of the starter motor when the car was brand new!
It is a simple job to take it out of the engine - no more than half an hour.

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx alot..its the starter for sure...i'll jsut take it out i'm just not sure if i'll grease it as u said or just buy a new one. But thanx alot...and you guys keep your eyes open soon cuz soon i'm going to have A LOOOT of questions...my exams are finishing and i'll have about 10 days free before i leave for bulgaria so i will be doing major work on the alfa=)) and well all i know about the alfa i've learned here
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It is not worth buying a new one only if some dirt has made your starter motor's life a bit bifficult Wink

Anyway, have good results with your exams Very Happy

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: