Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Uh-oh, engine trouble?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, it's sorted..
I'm getting a second hand 1.7 motor fitted.
The mechanic showed me the difference in the combustion chamber between early and later model 1.5 heads, and how the solid lifter 1.7 thing could be made to work.. but that's what I'd do if I were building a race car instead of prolonging the life of a rickety road vehicle.
Eddie, the 1.7 engine I'm getting is the one Arthur told me Italian Auto Centre had. 102,000kms - less than my old one had done.
Looking forward to getting the 33 back! =)
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Finally got the car back today! Very Happy
It is nothing like a Fiat Uno courtesy car (fortunately) - by comparison the clutch is super-light, gear change vague and feeble, seating position is really low, pedals are all offset to one side.. all this stuff I'm rediscovering.

Unfortunately its WOF (NZ MOT) expired during the month it has been in the garage, and I've just noticed the reversing lights don't work.
They used to work.
I'll check the bulbs first, but after that what do I check? Is there some sort of switch which may not have been correctly reinstalled during the engine swap?
If it's a simple fix then I'll do it myself to save hassle.
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ben,

Well good news that you have your Alfa back on the road again! How's the new motor? does it feel strong and ready for new better kms?

About the lights you can check the switch below the car that is located in the area of the gearstick accessed from below.
I don't think it would be something weird or complicated - it is rather straightforward. But of cource first check the buld in the rear Wink

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ben, good news that you're mobile again. Since the motor and box were both out I would suspect that your rev light problem is almost certainly reconnection to the switch being missed. Passengers side at the rear of the gearbox casing, two wires.
If possible I would like to borrow one of your heads to do some investigating on the solid lifter setup. Will give you a ring.
Glen said you can store your old engine on his racking while you decide what to do with it. If you have space problems as you indicated to me. I promise not to touch it.
Will you need that welding done for the warrant or do you think you might be able to slip it through?
Will look forward to seing it on the road.
By the way I've just about got that silver one we looked at straigtened out but am still undecided what to do with it. If it hadn't been deregistered it wouldn't be a problem. Also four 33s and a Peugeot for two drivers does seem a little over the top.
Regards Eddie
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sorted out the reversing lights.
It wasn't the bulbs..
Found the switch on the gearbox, the wires were connected to it.. Jacked the car up and measured the switch with a multimeter and it was working OK.
Confused
So I satta down anda smoked some basil and dranka some olive oil anda I said, what-a would I have done ifa my name was Luigi the Alfa factory worker anda wiring all looksa likea pasta to me?
There was no power getting to the switch on the gearbox, and this was why:

That plug sits between the ventilation unit and the brake master cylinder. The replacement engine must have come with a wiring loom attached which had a dodgy repair making it incompatible. Rolling Eyes
The reversing lights work now, but you have to pull the gearstick quite far back to get them to come on.

The new motor's running well, nice healthy broom broom noises and backfiring, but selecting first and reverse gears presents the same occasional difficulty as before (despite new clutch).

Eddie, to avoid storage problems with the old motor I sold the block, crank and pistons to Mark (friend of Pete at The Italian Job, also knows Arthur etc). That way I never had to transport it home from the garage. I still have the heads, camshafts, bent valves, trashed timing belts and tensioner etc etc and you're welcome to borrow them. Wink

I'm going to try for a WOF tomorrow. I've just rubbed some dirt over the biggest chassis rail crack, hopefully they won't notice it. Twisted Evil
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: