Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Brake pads - What are the best?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alfafan
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Brake pads - What are the best? Reply with quote

I have a 1991 33 1.5 with carbs.
I´m going to replace the front pads (the disks are almost new - Solid disks), because when you drive it, to get the car stoped the pads must be hot. When they are cold and you have to brake hard, the back wheels lock and the front dont stop... Shocked
I think they are very hard...
So, what do you recomend?
I must say that this is my wife´s car, so she doesn´t drive it hard as me...

Regards

Carlos Oliveira
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It is strange that your back wheels lock - they shouldn't. The rear brake pressure valve has this very aim:not to lock the wheels. Maybe you should have a look to the valve.

About the pads - I use the ATE pads along with the ATE powerdisk disks. I'm very satisfied since they operate more than good when cold for the first few hundred meters and when they obtain the correct temperature the feel fine!

Hope this helps.

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
alfafan
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It´s not the rear valve...
I checked all system, and everything is fine...
It´s the pad...
They are bad quality. They costed me 19 euros 2 month ago. I asked if they were ok, and the guy told me they were...
But they are not, they are garbage... Sad
When they heat, the car brakes just fine...

Regards

Carlos Oliveira
Chris Notsis
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject: Locking rear brakes Reply with quote

If the brake proportioning valve and its assembly are ok, then check using a static weight attached to the hook to the left (from the rear) of the assembly. Attach a 6kg weight, after loosening the hook, then re-tighten. As well, the rear circuit of the master cylinder may have a problem, such as a hardened or damaged seal. This can only be checked by dismantling the unit, obviously.

Consider also bleeding the brake lines, replacing all the fluid.
alfafan
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Locking rear brakes Reply with quote

Chris Notsis wrote:
If the brake proportioning valve and its assembly are ok, then check using a static weight attached to the hook to the left (from the rear) of the assembly. Attach a 6kg weight, after loosening the hook, then re-tighten. As well, the rear circuit of the master cylinder may have a problem, such as a hardened or damaged seal. This can only be checked by dismantling the unit, obviously.

Consider also bleeding the brake lines, replacing all the fluid.

Everything you said is done and re-done... Smile
The master cylinder is new (3 month) and this problem only appeared when I replaced the old pads.
Before it was braking just fine, after it doesn´t brake.
And if you heat the brakes with 2 os 3 strong brakings, it will brake normal...
So as you see, its the pads that are very bad quality....

Regards

Carlos Oliveira
Chris Notsis
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: pads etc Reply with quote

Thanks Carlos.

I obviously missed something. I agree with you - the pads are the problem. All too often I have to deal with poor materials being used on things like brake pads and clutches. Here in Australia, we get a lot of parts being sourced from Indonesia and China. ALthough most are produced for companies like PBR and Repco, there is real inconsistency between material quality used on different models of the same manufacturer, eg Alfa 33 and 75. It really does not pay to buy cheap, although this is not always true! - very frustrating. Recently, I fitted Bendix pads to a large local Ford that the customer provided. The noise from these was amazing! I replaced them with pads from another source (at half the price) and the noise was gone - and the brake efficiency increased. So much for these particular Bendix.

Cheers.
GaryUK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the solid disc I would reccomend a higher temp pad as the discs will overheat quicker and hold the heat for longer than the vented discs. Obviously not as higher temp pads as you currently have!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: