Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

P4 rough take off.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Biaggio
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: P4 rough take off. Reply with quote

Hi all,
I got a p4 not long ago and am quite happy with it although it doesn't seem to have the performance that i read about in this forum. One thing that is really bugging me is the stutter i get when i take off. i've tried adjusting the way i accelerate and so on but i'm struggling to get rid of it. I've only manage to dampen it by revving the crap out of it on take off.
prior to getting this p4 i had been driving a '91 16v for three years and managed to adjust to have a smooth take off.
Is it just my driving?? (i hope not) Shocked
Is the p4 that different to the regular 16v? Surprised
could there be some sort of problem with the engine? Sad
And finally, how come all you guys in Europe seem to get heaps better performance out of your 16v than i've experienced here in Australia? Confused

Hope someone can help me out... Very Happy
Matt Stolton
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Many little things... Reply with quote

Firstly, it could be down to air temperature.

Certainly in the UK, it is normal for ambient temperature to be cool, meaning effectively more air in the inlet charge, as it is denser. This directly assists power delivery. Also, as it is colder Air Con is less common, whereas, I presume it to be nearly standard in Oz. Obviously driving the air con pump saps a lot of power.

I'm not sure, but the Oz spec machines may have had alternative emissions requirements to Europe, which meant further compromises on power had to be made, in order to meet them.

However, within Europe itself there are anomolies. It is rare to see a 16V in UK with ABS, whereas it is much more common (almost standard) in mainland Europe. Also Switzerland has some extreme emissions policies, which even lead to an alternative section in the repair manual supplement, just for the Swiss cars.

Matt

Ex Alfa 33 'GTA' (P4 with Knobs On)
Now cruising in a 166 3.2 Ti!!
ducko
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: my observations Reply with quote

I have a P4 in Australia, i also noticed the difficulty taking off, did you know that they require premium unleaded?

One thing i noticed was that when i put optimax in the tank the car would hesitate, i removed the relay shaped octane device to set it for 97 octane (optimax is 9Cool and it went much better, however to do this it also bypasses the lambda sensor which might cause problems as there is no setting for 97 octane and a labda sensor.

try it and see if you notice the difference, i noticed the take offs and low rev performance is better. Howver I was concerned about the difference and tried premium with the correct octane device fitted (yellow).

Scott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: my observations Reply with quote

ducko wrote:
I have a P4 in Australia, i also noticed the difficulty taking off, did you know that they require premium unleaded?

One thing i noticed was that when i put optimax in the tank the car would hesitate, i removed the relay shaped octane device to set it for 97 octane (optimax is 9Cool and it went much better, however to do this it also bypasses the lambda sensor which might cause problems as there is no setting for 97 octane and a labda sensor.

try it and see if you notice the difference, i noticed the take offs and low rev performance is better. Howver I was concerned about the difference and tried premium with the correct octane device fitted (yellow).

Scott

the Cool = 98!
Biaggio
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott.
I only use premium unleaded so that rules that out.
the relay you're talking about, is it the blue one next to the battery? If so i took that out when i got the car as i did with my previous 16v. i found the car to be more responsive and just run better, but i haven't heard of replacing it. where do i get the yellow one you mentioned and how much should it cost?
ducko
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry my mistake,
taking it out is for 97RON ie optimax and no CAT,
the blue one is for 91RON with CAT (ie australian market) standard unleaded
The yellow one is for 95RON with CAT (Premium unleaded)

So if you only use premium unleaded you really need the yellow one.
They are nothing special, you can make your own by connecting together thr ight pins, i will let you know what the yellow one pin connections are when i get my car back from the mechanic or this chart on scott sanders page should show you which pins are shorted on the relay type device

http://www.sanderfamily.com/alfa/alfa_ignition_advance.html

Hope that clears things up

Scott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am seriously none technical but I would change the fuel filter because acceleration was greatly increased once I did that. Also, I had to order the filter from Alfa in Italy but I think Halfords do some for the P4 although they cost twice the price.
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quinton Hazell do Alfa filters, catalogue at www.qha.com

Also full online catalogues for some items (eg fuel pumps), so can cross reference other cars using same item. (Useful for sourcing used parts)
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
Dnavey
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: octane setting Reply with quote

can someone direct me exactly where the relay thingie is to change octane rate on a rhd 33 because i am a newbie when it comes to these things and im having trouble finding it ..i know its near the battery but i cant see it only saw a blue fuse and when i took it out car wouldnt start Razz

can someone show me a pic or something that can direct me

thanks
Davide
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum