Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Spacer between 2nd and 3rd gear on pinion

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Hansen
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Spacer between 2nd and 3rd gear on pinion Reply with quote

Appreciate any comments/assistance. Have pulled apart the gearbox to replace 2nd gear, synchro etc. When reinstalling all the parts, there seems to be a bit of slop between the gears. I have what appears to be two spacers - once that will fit over the pinion and sit any place and one that will only fit over the upper end of the pinion - the 5th gear end. I'm sure that I haven't lot any bits, but when I assemble the gears onto the pinion with the one that fits over the pinion between 2nd and 3rd gear and the other one at the end, everything appears to be a bit tight and not easy to move - also the spacer at the top allows 4th gear to move a bit - is this normal? The manual is not too useful with respect to the assembly of the gears adn having spent approx $1,000 on parts, I don't want to reassemble and stick gearbox back in the car only to hear a lot of crunches. Also, does the motor turn everything clockwise or counterclockwise? Appreciate your help. Thanks.
Wizz
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Wizz Reply with quote

Hi John.
First of all, I'm not 100% certain about this whole thing.. When I disassembled my gearbox, I made sure that everything was kept in the correct order, so when I had to put it all back in, it was simply a reversed operation.

But if I'm able to help, I'd be glad to. =)
So, you have the Alfa 33 workshop manual? On page 150 (in the .pdf), or 13-3 if you have it in hardcopy. There is a diagram of the the complete pinion with the order for all gears, rings, etc.
Between 2nd and 3rd gear, you will see two parts, numbered 26, and 15.
26 reads "Shouldered ring".
This same part is apparently used between 4th and 5th gear, as it also shows up there.
However! I seem to recall from when I overhauled mine, the the ring between 2nd and 3rd wasn't really shouldered. I believe it to be a simple.. squared (in lack of better words) ring.
I have an Italian manual.. In the pictures in this one, it also looks like a non-shouldered ring.
The shouldered ring between 4th and 5th should be oriented, so the shoulder is pointing at the 5th gear.
I hope this helps.. If not, maybe some pictures of the parts you have would help clarify things. You are welcome to mail them to me at Wizz <at> baka <dot> dk.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: