Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Coolant on front crossmember

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harri
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Coolant on front crossmember Reply with quote

Hi all,

I recently found coolant on the left side on top of the front crossmember. Under the cambelt cover there is a slight "dent" on the crossmember. Coolant drips from somewhere and makes a little puddle there. It only drips when the engine is running and the reservoir needs topping up only seldom. I suppose the only place it could come from is the waterpump but the pump does not make any noise nor is there any play in the bearing. If the pump leaks, does it leak onto the cambelt and possibly cause the belt to slip. The belt and pulleys were changed 30k kms ago but I suppose they should all be changed again if the waterpump needs to be changed, or?? Can I drive the thing or should I do the pump immediately?

Regards,
Harri
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I doubt it would make the belt slip, but it might damage the belt.

All the best

Keith
Ken McCarthy
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the hose clamps first, including the small vent hose at the top.

Regards
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I would say that your waterpump leaks - I don't think that coolant reaches the cam belt. But have it checked because cooling system is one of the most important part of your engine.

Regards

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Chris Notsis
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Water Leak Reply with quote

It has been quite a while since I last added my little bit on this forum, and it was Thanassi who prompted me to again darken this doow-way!

The water leak - ordinarily, the water pump (and tensioners) should be changed every time the timing belts are changed - this is actually a factory directive for all the boxers, but is rarely passed on to dealer workshops etc. It is likely your pump is leaking. Note that a pump can leak before any other signs of wear / failure become apparent. Most pumps are designed to leak at the shaft seal (usually through a drain hole) and this is preferable to sudden and catastrophic failure of the bearing. Over the last two weeks, I have repaired two 33s for pump failure, but in both cases the owners ignored the small water leaks; soon after the bearings failed (one collapsed, the other seized).

One point of confusion, left side - relative to which viewing point? If from the front of the car, then this could place the leak at the large water hose behind the alternator, in which case there could be a leak at this hose or the thermostat housing, causing drips to come down the front of the engine onto the cross member.
Harri
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help guys! It is on the left side when looking from the driver's seat so I guess it has to be the pump since the hose clamps appear sound. There have been threads on changing is and doing the belts/tensioners so I'll start looking for those. Also, is the microfiche workshop manual of any use in this project? At least it does not mention beating the pump with a mallet, which I have understood might be inevitable Confused

Btw. we had a mini Alfameet here in Punkalaidun, the little town I live in. With an invitation just one day in advance on the Finnish Alfa-forum we had 5 Alfas show up to the local Esso petrol station to have a chat over a cup of coffee. Amongst them was even a turbocharged Sprint Cool
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: