Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

33 boxer 1990 QV dash light and internal fan

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lanceb
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: 33 boxer 1990 QV dash light and internal fan Reply with quote

Hi there I'm after a 33 boxer 1990 car manual... I have problems with the fan/dash lights they seem to be interconnected and when the fan is turned to the on position it stops and the dash lights go out(well are dull). a swift knee on the side of the centre console sometimes gets things moving again but next bump all are out again. Also if dash lights are out/dim if i rotate the key to stop engine the dash light light up bright.

Anyone else had this problem and can suggest a solution. thanks heaps. Lance (Australia)
Chris Notsis
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Dodgy electrics Reply with quote

You obviously have the Limited edition that came with the special feature called 'Interactive Electrics'.

If the knee-activated switch you have been using is effective, then you have localised the problem to poor earthing and / or supply to that circuit. The best thing would be to remove as much of the dash / console area to increase access. Check continuity both with switches on and off, and in different combinations. IF you can get a continuity or short circuit tester, this can make things more accurate. Check the fuses as well, looking for tight connections, with no corrosion on the terminals.

Usually, when things light up or go out in the way you describe, the problem is earth or high resistance (12vdc) related rather than a short. Alfas use a seemingly random approach to wiring, in that many circuits are shared. This is done to control loads and reduce the need for more relays (= cost-cutting). Problems arise when load distibution is affected by dropped earths and high impedances due to corrosion.

Good luck.
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I also had once the problem that the heater fan was not working. When turning on the lights the heater panel lights were on; then when engaging the fan the lights of the panel were turned off and no fan rotating.

The solution was to trace the connector of the heater harness and finally see that the earth cable had so much debris on it that had become double Rolling Eyes

With the help of sandpaper the connector became like new and the problem disappeared.

However when the motor is running I feel the connector heated probably of the high current it requires (Anyone has experienced this???)

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: