Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

How to open driver side mirror casing?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: How to open driver side mirror casing? Reply with quote

Hello all,

One of 3 steel strings? that hold/control position of outside mirror glass has fallen of its inner control stick.(ring)
Q1: Have anyone managed to open outside mirror casing on 33 series 3 without breaking mirror casing or mirror glass?
If answer is yes
Q2. How did you do it? Step by step instruction would be nice Smile

If I have to buy new or used one, I think that I'll go to car scrap yard and take two electric controled ones from 164 if size is anything near, anyone tried that allready?
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Well I had tried to open the mirror some time ago in order to put grease on its axis. I tried to open the casing without any result as by opening it i could hear the plastic holders breaking and pieces coming out Confused
So I again closed it using hot silicone to the broken part and squizing it for a few minutes in order to dry.

I then found underneathe the mirror a small cap that openeing it gains access to the axis which I succesfully lubricated it .

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have tried and failed to pull them apart.

The mirror itself mounts on a small plastic plate that clips onto the part inside that actually moves. Think it clips on a 12 oclock, 3 oclock, 6 oclock and 9 oclock. I suspect that with a short loop of suitable bent wire you could pull the clips gently so the mirror will come out.

Many years ago I tried replacing those cables on a sprint. It was not a success.

All the best

Keith
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to pull my series 2 mirror apart, it was easy. =|

I tried to lubricate a mirror, but it wasn't that successful. The main problem is that once the mirror's reinstalled in the door, you can't move the little control stick far enough because it hits the door trim. When you have the mirror out of the door you'll think it's working OK, because you can move the control stick to its extremities and that's sufficient to overcome the friction in the joint at the back of the mirror glass.

To adjust the mirrors I move the control stick as far as it can go in the direction I want, then push on the edges of the mirror glass until the mirror sits where I want it. Wink
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patents ... Alfas really love patents ... Cool

Regards,

tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was affraid that will be the case.
But I also learned something today (is it only me or that sounds like end of some US cartoon Cool ) that what I was hoping was a cover for screw to unscrew mirror or something is actually greasing point.
Thank you all for your replays.
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a full day taking my mirrors apart, (they made nasty splitting noises, but I managed to glue them back together afterwards), and replacing the control cables, after finding suitable inner and outer cable for the ones which were rusted away.

They still don't work properly because of friction in my new cables, and because the length of the cables is really critical. Even when I got it right on the bench it was wrong on the car because of the change in length of the outer cables when they are bent to fit in the space inside.

The only way to replace broken cables that I can see is to rob from another mirror.
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
Marcin
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

a couple of months ago, after breaking of one of the steel mirror control cables I deciced to go for it and rebuild the mirrors of my alfa to electrically adjustable ones Very Happy The electrical parts including the "mirror movers", wiring and control joystick came off a Fiat Croma. The mirror plates itself I kept original. I also managed to pull the heated mesh off Croma's mirrors, which gave me heated units (very useful during colder months).
The alfa mirror unit is not easy to take apart, but I managed to do so without major destruction. With a bit of grinding and drilling the electric units were installed. The most work was the wiring, as I took the whole dash out of the car to hide the wires. The control joystick I put in the arm support on the driver's door.

I really enjoy it, you can adjust the mirrors much more accurate, and it makes life much easier when occasionally someone else drives the car.

Cheers,

Marcin
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Marcin can you please take a photo of your electrical mirrors, buttons etc that you installed? It would be a nice idea to work on. Surprised

Regards,

Marcin
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

here are the pics. Unfortunately I couldn't take any pics of the mechanism itself, as it requires the dismantling of the mirror, which I prefer not to do Confused Basically I cut out the holder for the old mechanism, which left me with a flat aluminium back plate and bolted the new mechanism to it.

Here you can see the "joystick":

The old stick is gone:

And the mirror itself. Not a single difference from outside...

Cheers,

Marcin
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Indeed very good work! Well done!

Regards,

tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

once again thanks to you ALL for your replies.
RFlower post about original steel wires was tip on scale for me to decide to go for electric conversion.
Marcin nice pictures, when time comes I'll probably contact you for more tips on opening 33 mirrors and fiting wirring. Since I have moved complete wiring from engine to el. windows from car not so long ago I know the feeling of removing dashboard and fitting wirring Mad .
Adam H
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaps

With luck, patience and a little know how (and wires from an old mirror, it is possible to repair the wires in an Alfa 33 mirror, but it took me a whole morning, and I used to work for a co that made car door mirrors that used this technique to actuate the glass. If you can change the mirrors to electric then go for it!

The most difficult bit is getting the new wires up through the pivot pin and over between the mirror case and the frame casting. They were never intended to be maintained!

When you have the mirror nearly apart, give the whole thing (wires, pivots, etc.) loads of thin grease - you will understand as you'll not want to do this job twice!

Perseverance!

Adam H
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: