Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Fuel Injection Vs Twin Carb 33 fuel consumption

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmmoss
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: Fuel Injection Vs Twin Carb 33 fuel consumption Reply with quote

Hi there,
I am thinking about selling my 1987 33 1.5 twin carb for a 1991 16v 1.7 33 with fuel injection. Although a really like my current 33, I only get 350km per AUS$40 tankful which is quite poor I feel. I am thinking of upgrading for the later 33 mainly for the increase in performance and a hope of getting better fuel economy. How much fuel could a expect to save with the fuel injected 33? Even 10% would be a help now petrol prices are going so high!
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't complain about fuel prices until you've lived in England - that must be the reason people actually buy diesel cars over there! Wink

How low are you draining your tank? $40 doesn't say how many litres you're using because the prices vary.
If I run my series 2 1.7 33 until there's only 5 or 6 litres left (based on 44~45 litres going in when I fill up), I get about 450km, more if I'm lucky. That's a combination of city and a decent portion of motorway driving, slightly more hoony than your average motorist.

According to my 33's handbook, a 1.5TI should use 10.7 l/100km in a (typical italian?) urban journey. If you use 40 litres out of your 50 litre tank, you should get 374km. My 1.7QV should get 351km.

Maybe your 33 needs a tune, check tyre pressures, spray carb cleaner, recite mystical chant etc. Always preferable to winding up the windows, turning off the aria condizienta and driving slower. Very Happy
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmmoss, in a word, floats and needle valves.
Regards Eddie
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

My 33 uses around 38-40 lt doing around 400kms.

I fill 'er up when the tank has around 12 liters left.

I have to admit that the car travels in open suberb roads which means no traffic lights, stops, 1-2 gear etc. but constantly 4th or fifth gear.

For statistical reasons I mention that prise per litre is around 0.8€ unleaded (RON95).

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
jonninaustralian (jmmoss)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just emigrated from England to Australia actually - but it doesn't get easier as the car trips are longer and the wages are that bit lower. It has hit aus$1.00 / litre here now, and I can't see it going down much. I just had my 33 tuned by an Italian mechanic in Melbourne - but perhaps he tuned for performance rather than economy. Either way I guess least the 1990's 33's don't go out of tune so easily due to fuel injection. Still keen on an LPG gas conversion - but my thread on here about the ins and outs of doing one on the 33 didn't much response - but an interesting thing in my Owner's Manual is that Alfa actually give tyre pressures if "LPG tank is fitted". But if a conversion turned it into a milk cart it would be terrible!
burgo90
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is $1aus GB punds then cos at the mo here its about 85p a litre which is a fookin rip off
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the time of writing, one Aussie dollar is equivalent to 0.388265 British pounds.
(http://www.xe.com/ucc/ currency converter)
I'm now at over 470km and my tank isn't quite empty. Very Happy
I'm happy with my 33's economy and power compared to my last car (a 1.8 carby 3-speed automatic)... Rolling Eyes
Marcin
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

that's quite bad economy figures you guys post here! I'm doing 130km every day to get to my work, of which 100 is highway and 30 is local road/town. On the highway I'm mostly doing 100-130 km/h (if there is no jam Rolling Eyes ) I've an '93 model with 1.4ie engine, and it consumes about 6.8 liters per 100km. I've been keeping a record of the used petrol and distance travelled since the beginning of this year and the average is this 6.8 l/100km. Even if my odometer/speedo overestimates the distance/speed by 5% (which I think it does), then it's still 7.1 l/100km, which is not bad I think. B.t.w., I really don't avoid revving above 4000rpm Wink

Cheers,

Marcin
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum