Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

New Stereo

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mc900corn
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: New Stereo Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new on the site here. I just moved to Italy from the US, and I caught a great deal on a series 3 Alfa 33 1.7IE. The the car has some minor damage on the right rear, but other than that, the car is is great shape. Only 90,000km, and I was able to purchase it for $750.00! I couldn't pass it up! I have one problem now though. I am a car stereo fanatic, and I've found that my Alfa is lacking a little bit in this area. Are there any proven ways to upgrade the stereo in this car without serious modifications? I would appreciate any kind of help from all of the veteran Alfa drivers on this site.
Wizz
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new car, great choice. =)

You'll find some info right here on the Alfa-Pages: http://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/Speakers.htm
(Click the music-tune-icon on the navigation-bar).
mc900corn
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well having those speakers upgraded will be a step in the right direction. I was also thinking of also mounting some speakers in the door panels, and possibly on the cover to the trunk. Has anyone here experimented with set-ups like this? I have plans to also put some subwoofers in the trunk, most likely 10s. Does anyone know if I will need to upgrade my alternator for a setup like this? Thanks everyone
james
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure if your running sub's that you use a powercap. and put a bigger battery in the car just to make sure.

I have a feeling that the doors are that deep to put speaker in side. So you will have to use very large spacers to get the depth needed for your new speakers.

Good luck.

James

I would have done but i could not see any nice ones, so on the end i went for a 145 QV. Very happy with it Very Happy

But still looking for a nice cheep 33 cloverleaf.
Graham
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have put some serious stereo equip in my 33 ill attach some pictures as soon as I work out how. I have 6" splits mounted in custom made pods on the front doors(I made these) and I remade the parcel tray with 4" splits and 2 10" subs and I have a 12" sub in a box in the boot. Pioneer comp headunit, 12 CD stacker, 2 JBL 6 channel amps. I put in a bigger battery and also got my alternator rewound to 180Amp. Feel free to ask me any questions you so desire[/img]

Also own 2 Complete 16V Engines(Spare) And Have a Sud Rally Car in Production
mc900corn
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham,

Thanks a lot for the inputs. I'm new to the european cars, and I haven't heard any with great stereos yet. I wasn't totally sure if they could handle them or not. Any recommendations on how to make those spacers you made for your doors? I think a CD player and the speakers in the dash and doors will be first. What kind of wattage are you running with your 2 amps? I have a pioneer 640 amp I'm planning on using for my highs, and I'll pick up another amp for my subs. Thanks
Graham
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there,

For the spacers for the doors I took 5 pieces of 16mm thick MDF and screwed them together and then planed them down to the shape I required and covered them in vinyl. Each amp is 1100 Watts RMS and they are 6 channels each. I have 3 sets of RCA Outputs from my Head Unit Pioneer Comp Style so that gives me front, rear and sub, I then run this through an active crossover and split it into high, mid and low and power each speaker seperately as in my 2 sets of tweeters get high, 2 sets of mids - mid and my 2 10" subs 1 side Sub and I have 1 12" Sub that gets the other side. Hope all that makes sense

Also own 2 Complete 16V Engines(Spare) And Have a Sud Rally Car in Production
Maze123
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Graham, do you have some pictures of your stereo? It sounds quite interesting.. Smile You can send them to my e-mail if you have some!

As for the door spacers, I decided not to make such ones, because my neighbour, who is a car-stereo referee at many European championships and the Danish championship, advised me to use the original holes in the dash. He said that it would give the best sound, because the speakers then point towards your body instead of your feet. And then of course a pair of tweeters on top of the dash.

To compensate for the use of 4" speakers instead of 5.5" or 6" I have a 12" sub instead of a 10".

Rear I have a pair of 2-way 6x9.

All the speakers are DLS, the sub is from Helix, and my amplifier is from Audison. I think is has an extremely good sound!! Shocked Even better than my home stereo...

Regards
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: