Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Cam belt timing 1.7 8V sports wagon

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary Smith

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Cam belt timing 1.7 8V sports wagon Reply with quote

Timing up a 1.7 8Valve engine (G reg). I have found the crankshaft timing mark in the hole in the top of the bell housing and have found the inspection holes in the top of the tin cam box covers for the cam pulleys. The crank timing is easily identified but there are two cut marks on each cam pulley, one mark either side of a single tooth. With the crank shaft aligned, should this single tooth (with a cut mark each side) be central in the middle of the cam box timing hole.
Can you confirm the timing marks on the engine are as I have described. With my crank aligned, both my cams appear to be one tooth out and I believe the previous owner has incorrectly timed the engine (the engine runs rough, but is drivable).
Regards Gary Smith.
ZeNiTh-PbArM
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: re : timing Reply with quote

hi

for proper crank timing : align the "T" mark on the flywheel with the index
for proper cam pulley timing : you should be able to see both notches through the opening.

here you can see a proper camshaft timing example :

(the white marks were made with paint - i made them for reference while changing cambelts)

regards,
zp
Gary Smith

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, I will look for this T mark on the crankshaft, perhaps the mark that I am looking at through the bell housing is a spark timing mark and not the top dead centre mark. Perhaps the engine is timed okay after all. Passanger side cam belt had about 75% of each tooth missing, it would not have been long before it was smooth!!!
Thanks once again. Regards Gary Smith.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: