Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Front Brake problems

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Front Brake problems Reply with quote

Hi guys recently everytime i press the brake on my 92 ie 33 the alfa control "says" that the front brakes are starting to wear off...now can that be the case and how can i check it out, my alfa control has always been accurate till now so i doubt its some electric problem, but then again u never know with alfa. and if it is time for changing the front brakes then how easy will it be?would i be able to do it myself?
thanks guys.

p.s. damn it 2 days with my alfa and the problems are starting again
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the correct brake pads at the front, these have wires buried in the pad which touch the disc on braking when the pad wears down to its limit. This earths the wire and shows a light on the instrument panel and Alfa Control.

Check the pad thicknesses, they should be replaced when worn down to 7mm thick, including the backing plate.

You can just about see the pads through the gaps in the calipers if you remove the front wheels, but to measure them accurately you'll have to remove them. Handle the wires gently, they are easily broken.

Follow the wires from the calipers up into the engine bay, to locate the connectors, disconnect these, and feed the wires down towards the calipers.

Remove the lower retaining pin by tapping it out with a parallel pin punch, from the inside of the caliper, remove the cross spring above the pads, and tap out the lower pin. You can now lift the pads out, inner pad first. Note where each pad came from, and replace them in the same positions as before, don't swap them around.

Replace in the reverse order, pads, lower pin, cross spring, upper pin. Make sure the pins are tapped home so they lock in place.

You can also get a brake warning if the fluid is low in the reservoir. When you brake, the fluid flows to the front and the level switch can make contact, so check the level also.

Cheers Dick
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: