Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Batteries for racing alfasud (or 33)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexj
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject: Batteries for racing alfasud (or 33) Reply with quote

I've been looking at changing my battery for either a remote located battery in a box behind the passenger seat, or maybe a lightweight battery in the original location.

I though I had a bit or time to sort this out but my current battery (standard size in original location) is on the way out and I've got a hillclimb next weekend - may have to go with the standard location as there's probably not enough time to do the remote option.

So what sort of battery do people use in their racing suds/33's? And where is is located?

Best Regards
Lex in Auckland/New Zealand
Scott Sander
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Have a look at the Odyssey range of batteries.

The guys here usual stick them where the front passenger seat would be or just behind it.
alexj
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott,

I found this page on Odyssey batteries:
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/auto.htm

Do you happen to know which model Odyssey battery they used? Did it appear to be the smallest one on the page above?

Not sure if you can get them here in New Zealand anyway, but maybe I can find something similar. I've also heard of people using Optima Red Top batteries for racing, and also Varley Red Top:

http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/starter/index.asp
http://www.dmstech.co.uk/varleyredtop.htm

Again, I'm not sure if these are available here in NZ.

Thanks again....
Lex
rallyboy77
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Alex,

I have my battery on the floor behind the front passenger (co-drivers) seat. Just an everyday battery in a box, earthed at that location and the +ve goes to a kill switch in the dash then to the start motor.

Can't afford one of those nice odyssey things yet Wink

regards,

Jeremy
alexj
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to those that replied. I just thought I'd mention that in the limited time available, I couldn't get one of those lightweight Odyssey or Varley things. In the end I looked at fitting a standard size (DIN44?) battery, but it seems my Alfasud has already been modified to accept a different battery that was cheaper and more widely available than the DIN44, but that battery was a similar size (and weight) to the DIN44.

So I modified the battery mounts again, to accept a smaller NS40ZL type battery (this one was made by Hella) which was one of the smallest and lightest standard car batteries I could find. One thing about this battery is that it's quite tall, so it always needs covers over the terminals to protect from shorts and while it fits o.k. under the bonnet of the sud, it might not fit in a sprint.

Long term project is still to do the lightweight remote battery behind the front passenger seat.

Regards
Lex
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: