Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

SPAX SPORTS SRINGS?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dicko
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: SPAX SPORTS SRINGS? Reply with quote

Hi,

hoping for some shared info... have purchased Lowered Sports SPrings --- SPAX--- - 25 - 45mm. These are for my 1986 33 1.5.

Hoping for any word of experience with the Spax springs before I go ahead and fit them.... seen plenty on the Eibash... but not SPax.

Thanks... RIch

p.s. Also any experience on Monroe Gasmatic Front struts??
GaryUK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had any direct contact with Monroe but have seen/heard them panned on/in many a posting/conversation but never ever praised.
GaryUK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they not American Monroe and America thinks sports suspension means solid according to Clarkson. And although he may be a mildly amusing bigoted tory twat he's driven plenty of cars so I trust his word (on cars)
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dicko,
had gas-o-matic at rear of my P4, well that was fun.
When they were new, rear jumped like goat, it had so much rebound that it was dangerous.
Less then 2 years after they started to "leak", at that point the were somewhat softer, but rear would go over bumps... without lift off.
Now i could drive 33 as it should be driven.

Last edited by tvatavuk on Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dicko
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

thanks people, the monroes dont sound too exciting.... what aboutthe SPAX... anyone????

RIch
Matt Stolton
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Sadly I agree about spax... Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother with spax. Never heard anything good about them on an Alfa. Lots of 'max power boys' in their clios, saxos, and pugs rave about them. 'Nuff said really.

Eibach are pretty good. I have them on my P4, and they are great day to day, and equally useful on a track. Because they are progressive, you get a soft ride when driving softly, but when you lean hard on them, they stiffen. You get a sensible drop from them (about 30mm if memory serves), which isn't too much.

They are typically £50 more expensive than other brands, around the £150 mark, but when you consider how much a tank of optimax is, £50 isn't that much these days. However they are fair superior to other brands IMHO.

If you are going to replace shocks, I would go with Koni. Yellows on pretty much there softest setting would be about right, without being too harsh for day to day. You would have to play with the front to back relative stiffness to get the handling you require. I haven't fitted them yet, as my budget is elsewhere currently, but I have been in lots of Alfas, including 33s, with them in, and the control they give over the spring is impressive.

Matt

Ex Alfa 33 'GTA' (P4 with Knobs On)
Now cruising in a 166 3.2 Ti!!
LDA
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got a set of the koni shocks on a m8's mr2. they are really good. a little on the very hard side for day to day use but they really do hold the road well. and are only really a problem on bumpy back roads or pot holes.

we allways keep them on the softest setting on the road for fear of ripping a corner of the car over the shitty roads of sussex. on the track they are ace. turn then up to max and wow!
2 years hard use so far and still going strong.

not tried them on the p4 yet but they are a planned mod due to how well they work on other cars.

L.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: