Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Ventilation & Heating - God help...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Horizontally Opposed
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Ventilation & Heating - God help... Reply with quote

Since the weather is getting worse here in Greece I've finally decided to try and fix the ventilation system on my series 3.
Last year it was blowing cold air but this year there is no air at all (although I can hear the fan).

I've heard it's a nightmare but I have to give it a shot!
Does anyone have any helpful advice?

I have a manual for the 33 but it's for the first series I think.
What's the best way to do it?
From under the hood or inside the car?

Thanks guys!
BILL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First check the filter of the ventilator.You find it if you take out the plastik tube-like thing that brings air from under the windsheald.
Taking off all the ventilation system ,from i heard here , is very difficult .
Someone who has already done it can help you better, i hope Smile .
Also check that all the cables that moves the flaps (feet/windsheld/face)are working,also check that the air recycle/fresh air is working also.If its turned in recycle then the motor is working in low speed.
Sorry for my english Very Happy send me a pm if you wand any info more .In pm we can write in Greek.
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have had my ventilation unit fully maintained during the last summer.
It was quite a difficult job for me to remove the heater as you have to get over various obstacles that block your way out.

Anyway this is not a very frustrating part compared to the part that actually has to do with the unit itself.

It comprises from various air-ducts that are regulating the air flow. By dismantling the unit , one can find inside whatever dirt and leaves that the car has passed under.

By the way, does your car have A/C ? If yes then forget the air conditioning since taking it out means escape of Freon...

If no, you can service it by yourself - You will need plenty of days to have your car operational.

Here are the steps I did for mine.

1.Flush the cooling system
2.Undo the four nuts securing the heater to the chassis (inside the cabin, above the feet of front passengers)
3.Take out the small holder above the lighter in order to gain access to the heater switches.
4.Remove the metal frame that keeps the panel in place (loacted internally).
5.Disconnect various connectors (mark them in order to remember then when fitting)
6.Took out the heater unit from the engine compartment (THE MOST DIFFICULT JOB-BE PREPARED FOR A LONG DAY!!!)
7.Bridge the two coolant hoses, fill in coolant, so that I have the car operational in the mean time.
8.Dismantle the heater unit to lubriacte motor, clean the radiator, replace the
various spongy elements and assembly.

Now the fan sounds better more melodically and the air is hotter than ever.Dirt was all over the interior and was blocking the flow.

It is a good idea to have it serviced since noone knows when the radiator will pass away and seen your carpet full of coolant. Better safe than sorry.

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your ventilation motor was making noise like mine was, I would try to replace the motor instead of just lubricate it. I lubricated the motor in my car, HEAPS, then put everything back together and the motor soon made noise again.

Horizontally Opposed, if I were you I would first try to find the cause without taking the ventilation unit out.
You know the fan goes but no air comes out. Does this include hot air?
Maybe one of the flaps that controls airflow has jammed closed or broken. You might be able to see this underneath the dashboard, or by removing a few bits of the dash.
I removed the ventilation unit on my series 2 car, and it was very difficult to get the unit out of the car. Apart from having to remove a lot of stuff, the problem was that the four bolts which attach the unit to the car stopped me from getting the unit out even after I'd undone the nuts. I ended up breaking the bolts free from the ventilation unit by grabbing the ends with vise grips and twisting until something broke.
I think the ventilation system is quite different in the series 3 cars, but not much easier to work on. Wink

The idea is to avoid having to get to this stage:http://www.axys.co.nz/ben/alfa33/VENTMAN2.JPG
http://www.axys.co.nz/ben/alfa33/VENTMAN.JPG
Horizontally Opposed
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your help everyone!! Very Happy

Gritsop my car doesn't have A/C so whenever I have a full day to spare, I'll try and do all the things you suggested! Thanks a lot for your step-by-step guide!! I feel more confident now. Smile

Btw, I wanted to ask you and Bill, since you must have similar weather conditions where you live, about the coolant temperature readings I've been getting these days.
It seems that in this cold weather, the coolant rarely ever reaches 80 degrees (I have to be stuck in traffic for a long time).
Is this natural or is it time to replace the thermostat?

Ben_nz, my motor is a bit noisy indeed so I guess it's time to replace that too!
Those ventman pictures haunt my dreams!!! Crying or Very sad

I think I'll take a deep breath, read gritsop's post a couple of times and then undertake the ordeal!
Maybe I'll also drink some beers....
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

About the engine temperature it should reach around 80C in no more than 12 minutes approximatelly.

You say that only in heavy traffice does the fan cut in ... then you should take a look at your thermostat - and when I say take a look, I mean replace it.
Actually no cold air flows on the radiator and eventually after some time the water heats up.
Do a small test.Warm up your engine to 80C and take it for a ride in the highway or generally in road condition that you don't have to stop in traffic or traffic lights etc.
If you see the indication dropping and dropping and reaching 55-60C, then don't think it over, it is for sure your thermostat.

In my car when the previous days the temperature was -4C it took the car about 12-15 min. to warm up to 80C.

Hope this helps,

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah reading this i seem to have learn a lot!
i have a series 3 perm 4 and the temp never goes above 50*c in these cold conditions. now i know that needs sorting.
where is the thermo in the engine bay?
and its been a while since the coolant was changes so this seems like the ideal time to do it.

my hearters dont work very well. they blow sorta slighly warm air but not a lot of it and the fan only works if the dial is turned up to max.
i think i'll try and clean the system out without removing it from the car.
the fan sounds fine but the dial doesnt do anything untill you reach the very max point. is this the switch or the motor?

thanks people

L.
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
my hearters dont work very well. they blow sorta slighly warm air but not a lot of it...

The air should be hotter once the thermostat is changed. It made a big difference to my old Cordia's heater; the air went from mildly warm to toasty roasty! Cool

Quote:
the fan sounds fine but the dial doesnt do anything untill you reach the very max point. is this the switch or the motor?

The series 2 fan motor has a resistance element inside the motor itself that's used for the slow speed (motor can only go two speeds). Maybe there's something like that which has failed, or maybe the motor is all full of dirt so it can't turn properly at low power. The easiest thing to check would be the switch though, so try that first!
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The thermostat is located under the intake manifold, or behind the PAS pump - it looks like a small barell. If your car does not have PAS then it is easy to remove the thermostat, else you have to remove the intake manifold. Cost of it around 20€

About your heater motor that blows only in max speed, it is the ceramic resistance that has blown itself. If you take a close look at the heater unit (from the engine compartment) and especially the leads coming from the interior, you will notice a detachable element that is easily taken out by undoing the two screws. This is located in the right of the brake fluid pipes (for a LHD car).

Take it out and replace it with a new one - it is a common fault for the blower motor, cost about 35€.

Hope this helps,

Regards

LDA
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats great. thank you both.
my car is a '92 33 series 3 perm 4 with power steering and no air con. i'm going to go and get a thermo for the car this afternoon, fingers crossed the drive home will be warmer than it has been of late.

L.
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi LDA,

thermostat these days last from 2-3 years, original or OEM it's all the same on 16v.
If you or someone before you used radiator/cooler repair fluid then it is also posible that it is cloged.
Besides that when you need warm air in cabin and outside is too cold, people usualy move mid lever to recirculate air inside cabin.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: