Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Big end bearings

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic :: View next topic  
33goingon38

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Big end bearings Reply with quote

Can anyone provide any suggestions for a source of upgraded big end bearings? I've been warned that the std ones can fail and I want to use my car for trackdays and so on .... quite happy to drop the sump and swap the brgs if it saves a big failure later.

Thnkx
alexj
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What engine/bearings do you have now? I heard the Tri-metal bearings from the 16v were best... but the main issue would be to get enough oiling to the centre main bearing.... firstly, make sure you add enough oil before going on the track. Full to the top mark if not a bit beyond.

Baffled sump certainly helps stop oil surge in corners and people more expert than me might be able to advise on how else to improving oiling to the centre main bearing.

You could investigate a higher pressure/flow oil pump, but maybe not advisable for a road car.

Good luck....
Matt Stolton
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Grooved bearings Reply with quote

Fitted in my P4 16V are some rather nice shell bearings that have a central groove running down the middle of the shell. As oil enters through the hole from the oil passageway, it is sqirted around the full circumference of the bearing.

The increased loading/pressure on the bearing shell, through loss of metallic surface, due to the groove, is more than out weighed by the much more even flow of oil, and the superior lubrication. Basically the extra oil film outweighs the negative factor of loss of bearing surface....

Try Lloyd at Clovertech for where he sourced them, or to get him to get you some. I doubt they are much more money than Alfa standard, as they are probably just from a different engine with the same bearing sizes, i.e standard OEM items, just for a different brand of car.

Matt

Ex Alfa 33 'GTA' (P4 with Knobs On)
Now cruising in a 166 3.2 Ti!!
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that quite a few of the racing guys use 105 bearings which are copper/lead. I think they have to be narrowed slightly. The copper/leads will usually take higher oil pressures without detriment. Also I.ve read of restrictors being used in the oil supply to the heads thus retaining more oil flow to the bearings. We used to do this in the Cosworth BDA rally engines. Without it you would fill up the top end at high revs and as it's slow to return you would effectively lower the sump level even though these engines were all dry sumped. The cam boxes are not where you want your oil reserves to be held.
Regards Eddie
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: