Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

unpleasant feeling about suspectedly oily cylinder gasket

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martini
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: unpleasant feeling about suspectedly oily cylinder gasket Reply with quote

HI!
When I recently mounted the 16V cylinder heads the workshop manual said that I should oil the cyl.head bolts. So I did and whiped the residue off. But while mounting the second head i noticed that oil was flowing down from the upper center bolt thread hole on the otherwise perfectly clean block surface. I cleaned it and started over but now I'm worried that the same might have happend while mounting the first head even though I didn't notice anything Confused

How serious would that be? Can I (and must I) remove the head without changing gasket. It is 3 days since i mounted it and I'm planning to post-pull the bolts and finish off today.

Thanks
Martin, 33 1.7 16V QV 1991
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Suspect the angle of the block just meant it dripped one way or the other (you shouldnt have needed much oil). If this is so then you are probably OK

However the gaskets are coated and I would presume they would not bond correctly to the head if there is oil in the way

All the best

Keith
graeme
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Me too Reply with quote

I did the same and have the same worries. Noticed very small amount of oil around the head block joint. Surely if the threads are to be oiled, some must end up on the gasket/faces as the oil rides up the threads. Let me know what happens when you start is up, or I'll let you know if I get there first.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: