Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Changing to 2nd gear makes nasty noices.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillaBoo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Changing to 2nd gear makes nasty noices. Reply with quote

I got a 1992 33 QV, its a nice car. But when do a fast change to 2nd gear, the gearbox gives out some nasty noices. I`ve been told its bad synchronized.

ANY way to fix this without replacing the gearbox?

thanks
LDA
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh, rebuild it!
some people do it them selves. but i know nothing of the insides of gearboxes so i had mine rebuilt last year. my car is a 33 perm 4 so its a slightly diffrent box but not much.

the cost was about £700 for a full rebuild of my box. well worth the effort. but even with a tottaly rebuilt box, if you stuff the gears in too hard and fast it will only take a few thousand miles to get it to make nasty noises again.
i dont know if there are any upgraded internal parts for the box, but your best best is to change slowly or double clutch. i use the slow change method and i never get a crunch. its not a modern car, take care of it!

L.
rjbevan
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do get the box rebuilt then it is worth getting some special transaxle oil to put in it. There are a few posts on this subject, suggest you search the archives.

Richard
BillaBoo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rebuilt? too expensive.. i`m looking for a cheaper solution.
And i`ve been told that it gets f****d after a while anyway.
Gonna see if i can find a different gearbox that i can fit into the 33, or just change the synchro`s that cause the problem. if possible.

thanks for replies
LDA
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are there any uprated syncros that could be installed? or do we have to put up with the rubbish stock ones?

would a renualt 21 gerbox fit with a modified bell housing? same basic shape and a front wheel drive box as the alfa one but slighly larger. still 5 gears. they use them in the lotus esprit (or did till they ran out of new boxes and stopped building esprits Sad )

L.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: