Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

33 road setup

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LDA
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: 33 road setup Reply with quote

hey all,

i'm trying to improve my very nice '92 33 perm 4 so that it drives as i'd like. i'm only going to be using it on the roads so i dont want this car to be too extreme to drive over the b roads round my way.

handling
*shocks. is there a brand/model of shock that best suits the 33 without turning it into a super stiff jumping jack?

*springs. the perm 4 is quite low at the front anyway so i'd rather not go much lower than stock height. but the rear is waaay up in the air. do rear lowering springs exist for the perm 4? and would lowering just the rear upset the balance of the car? any other surgestions welcome.

*anti roll bars, does it have one? can i fit a better one? are there any out there?

*steering. i have a few ideas for this. can someone supply me with drawings of the steering on a s3 33? maybe from a workshop manual?

*camber. are there any top mount kits for the 33 so i can play with the geometry a little more? if so where might i find some for sale?

brakes
i assume that larger discs, pads, callipers and master cylinder from other alfa's could be retrofitted to the 33. is there a well trodden route of parts to use?
i have just replaced my brake fluid with all new dot5.1 and is has helped a little. but the brakes are still shockingly bad for a car with 4 discs!

exhaust. how big is too big. i dont want to get an exhaust that will kill my torque but i would like to remove any noise compromises that alfa were forced to build into the system. are there any good off the shelf exhausts? and or manifolds? i do not have a CAT on my car.

gear shifting.
are there any quick shift kits for the 33? or is there a diy mod that could be done?

thanks in advance for your help people

Luke.
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

About the shocks; I have now fitted Sachs shocks all around before 2 months. These are produced by the same factory as Boges are and the feel is like when car was new.There won't be any deviation from the original setup.

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 33 road setup Reply with quote

handling
*shocks. is there a brand/model of shock that best suits the 33 without turning it into a super stiff jumping jack?

good off the shelf exhausts? and or manifolds? i do not have a CAT on my car.

Hi luke

Shocks! go for koni,but set them softer.if you dont wont a hard ride. you can get a thicker anti roll bar aswell but ive forgoten the name,matt has one on his dead p4. as for exhausts all i can say is make it as straight as poss so the gases fly out the back.i made mine from other silencers.straighthrough ones. brakes i have tarox on the front not bad. hope this helps abit

p.s. did you get my photos i sent you?

regards john

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
Alan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LDA,

Not sure about the P4 but I know you can fit 259mm diameter vented discs of the front of a 164 .... but then you need to make caliper mounting brackets to suit, and make sure your calipers are wide enough to go over the wider discs (depends if you had a vented set up originally). I've actually used Wilwood Dynalite calipers - they're very good performance, very good value.

Then you have to make sure it all fits inside the wheels - I've made it fit in 14inch rims, but it'll depend very much on the design of your rim.
LDA
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was looking at the hi spec calipers. i have a set of the 4 pots on my pulsar and they seem to stop that quite well. but i do have 310mm discs on it!

164 brakes eh? the perm 4 does have vented dics on the front so maybe the stock calipers would fit? then again 4 pots would really do the trick.

i have heard some good things about the wilwood setup from other pulsar drivers. if they can stop one of them then they can defo stop a 33.

ho hum. hope i can find some deals in the january sales Smile

L.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: