Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Cylinder number 4 not working

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chpinto
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Cylinder number 4 not working Reply with quote

Turning the carburetor mixture screw in and out has no effect on the firing of this cylinder. My 33 twin carburetor series 3 1.3 engine is running on 3 cylinders only. According to 2 mechanic friends i have valve problems on that cylinder. The question is, can i repair the valves whithout having to take the engine out ? It seems to be a hell of a job having to remove the engine on my own with no help.

chpinto
Bellamachinna
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi... Very Happy
Not sure but i think that heads can be removed with engine on car...
At least, the manual states the procedings for removing the 16v heads without removing the complete engine.
So, if the 16v heads can be done that way the 8v will be less complex.
Removing the engine is not very difficult. I find it harder to put it back in place...
If you are in Lisbon area, drop me a mail if you need help.
Best regards
P.Camilo
chpinto
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: cylinder nē4 not workingi Reply with quote

Thanks for your help. This morning, i reconfirmed again that the problem is not in the fuel suply, carburetor, firing ignition or leaks in the gaskets. There is definitly a problem inside that nē4 firing chamber. Coud be valves, rings etc. I made a decision : try to sell it first as a spares car . If after some time i find it dificult due to the low comercial value, then i will make it my future project to restore it with no rush. Anyway i will let you know of future developments.
regards
chpinto
Bellamachinna
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Very Happy

It will be very difficult to pass the car to other person. (unless you give the car away Confused ).
Nobody wants 33`s. Good ones are hard to sell...Spare parts cars, even junkyards dont want them, unless you pay them to colect the car Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Best option was to get an 1.5 or a 1.7 16v and spend your money on it.
At least, when the job was finished you end up with a mighty engine, and not just a 1.3...
In the end of the day, its your decision, its your cash...
Anyway if you decide to restore the car and need help, mail me... Very Happy
I will be glad to help...
P.Camilo
cpinto

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: cylinder nē4 not workingi Reply with quote

Basicaly I agree with your coments, but i will give it a try anyway. I know that even if i manage to put the car back on its feet again the only satisfaction i am going to get is a feeling of personal achievement since the selling price after it is ok will still be very low. I sold recently a twin carb car 1.3 alfa 33 SW for 400 euros to a brasilian guy, but this car was ok.
One day i will look for a more potent version like the 16 V 1.7 injection model because i like the the boxers and reckon that it is easy to get addicted to these type of cars.
regards
chpinto
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: