Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Limited Slip Differential

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken McCarthy
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Limited Slip Differential Reply with quote

I am seeking some assistance in locating a LSD for my car. The ideal type seems to be a Thorsen type as manufactured by Quaife Engineering in Sevenoaks, Kent (England). I have emailed them, but so far, no reply. Maybe they can no longer produce an LSD for this Alfa.

I have an article about an Alfasud Ti in Denmark with a Sprintex supercharger and a Quaife LSD in a 16V gearbox, so it must have been available at some time in the past. Perhaps there might be a second hand one somewhere?

Any help or comment would be appreciated.

Regards
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time (years ago) we have talked about it, someone said that minimum order was 10 or 20 LSDs, because they custom made it for 33.
You could try finding used one, or if in luck maybe even unused one from some of guys that had oredered that big amount.
Few Alfistis have tried to group and make that large order, but failed once or two times.
Ken McCarthy
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: LSD Reply with quote

Thanks Tino

Maybe my post above will find one of those hiding in someone's garage.

Regards
hugh jinjin
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: lsd Reply with quote

Hi ken ,it depends what you want to use the car for . If it's a road car then the torsen type diff is very good (if you can find one!) but if you want to use it in competition then it has one serious drawback, namely that it requires both driving wheels to have traction in order to work ie if you lift one wheel off the ground or run wide onto the grass the diff works just like a standard open diff (massive wheelspin!).
The prefered type of diff for motorsport use is a plate type lsd which doesn't suffer from the above problem and has the added advantage of actually being available for sale here in the uk! If the diff is for a road car then you could have it built with slightly milder ramp angles for the clutches and it would be absolutely fine on the road and would make a huge difference to the car.
The diffs are available from most of the uk alfa race preparers.
Try Adie Hawkins at www.ahmotorsports.co.uk
Ken McCarthy
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: LSD Reply with quote

Thanks Hugh

I will follow that up.

Regards
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2462&highlight=

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: LSD Reply with quote

I was the man in charge of ordering the Quaife Torsen diff.

The first time we ordered 10, and they were all booked for different people.

Then some years later we tried to gather 10 orders (that was minimum for the Quaife company), but at first we failed. Could not find more than 6-7 persons who wanted the diff.

Then again some years later (I think that we are now in year 2000), we succeeded in getting 10 orders. In fact it was 14, and at that time I said, that I was very sure, that it was the last opportunity to get the Torsen diff. It would never again be possible to get 10 orders for an expensive part for a car, which was out of production many years ago.

So the only LSD that you can get now, is the traditional plate type (which I have not tried). But I can say, that a teoretical disadvantage of the Torsen when not having both wheels on the ground, does not manifest itself in real life - at least not on the tracks that I drive (Nürburgring, Zandvoort, Spa, Assen and all the tracks in Sweden and Denmark).

Peter Dyrelund
Editor
Alfa Romeo Klub Danmark
Ken McCarthy
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: LSD Reply with quote

Peter

Thanks for your reply and the comments. Do you recall what the costs were?

Regards
Rees Cees
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: LSD Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I was the man in charge of ordering the Quaife Torsen diff.

The first time we ordered 10, and they were all booked for different people.

Then some years later we tried to gather 10 orders (that was minimum for the Quaife company), but at first we failed. Could not find more than 6-7 persons who wanted the diff.

Then again some years later (I think that we are now in year 2000), we succeeded in getting 10 orders. In fact it was 14, and at that time I said, that I was very sure, that it was the last opportunity to get the Torsen diff. It would never again be possible to get 10 orders for an expensive part for a car, which was out of production many years ago.

So the only LSD that you can get now, is the traditional plate type (which I have not tried). But I can say, that a teoretical disadvantage of the Torsen when not having both wheels on the ground, does not manifest itself in real life - at least not on the tracks that I drive (Nürburgring, Zandvoort, Spa, Assen and all the tracks in Sweden and Denmark).

Peter Dyrelund
Editor
Alfa Romeo Klub Danmark

Off topic

Are you the one who has forgotten to pick up the zender skirts in Zandvoort 3 and 4 september 2004?

On Topic

I have one new Nick Humphery´s LSD in stok. One built for a race car. the price is 1750 euro.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum