Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Engine and box coming out - am I doing it right?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
munro
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Engine and box coming out - am I doing it right? Reply with quote

I started pulling the engine and box on my 1988 1.7 8V today - Everything up top is disconnected.

I have the car jacked up and supported as high as I can on axle stands at the jacking points. Plan to drop front crossmember, and then lower the engine and box on a trolley jack and slide forward.

Is this the right approach? Obviously I have no ramp, no pit, and no engine hoist.

Any practical help would be greatly appreciated.

Reason I am pulling is to repair 2nd gear synchromesh...which I'll have a try at based upon some positive results by others on this site.

Regards, Munro.
Dreamracers
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a brave man, I am paying for my 2nd gear synchro to be done, inc dropping out the engine and putting it back again. I am really tight, and know I will bugger it up if I try, and it'll cost me more to get sorted when I f**k it up.

Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can drop the box on it's own with sufficient clearance underneath. The trick is in the refitting.
Take the middle mount( the big one at the rear of the motor itself) and slot downwards from the L/H hole as viewed from the rear. This allows the remated g/box and motor to be raised back into position with the mount loosely in place on the bulkhead. This hole fits over a long stud from the block through the bell housing and it is impossible to get the mount over afterward and virtually impossible to get the assembly in place with the mount bolted to the g/box first
Regards Eddie
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I alternate between a trolley jack and scissor jacks on slabs placed carefully in the exhaust outlet ports (careful not to bend the manifold studs) so that the engine doesn't tip sideways and damage anything. Takes me four hours to drop an engine out. However I do use a hoist to help it back in.
ZeNiTh-PbArM
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Gearbox removal does not require engine removal.
Have a look at : http://alfaimola.free.fr/technique/transmission/embrayage/index.html
for a step-by-step description of the process.

Best regards,
zp.
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's all very well and true if you've got access to a lift and someone to help you lift the gearbox back into place, but working on my own with the car on the ground it's rather difficult to marry the engine and gearbox together with the very little room available.
munro
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the replies Paul, ZP, Dreamracer, and Eddy. Very Happy

I got the engine and box out in one piece this weekend - took me about 9 hours total but the kids were up to a bit of mischief which slows down the progress. 2 hours of this time was spent separating the exhaust manifold from the exhaust pipe AAAARGGH! 4 hours to have the lump out does look quite reasonable for next time round.

I managed with two trolley jacks and the scissor jack out of the trunk.

With the engine and box out, that's the easy part done. Next I move onto pulling the box apart....plenty of time to worry about refitting the engine/box later.

PS Great website you have there Zenith....embarassingly, my french is not up to it I'm afraid.

Thanks Again.

Regards, Munro.
rallyboy77
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We pull out the engine and box using the technique you describe all the time. It only takes a couple of hours with 2 or 3 people when you get used to it Smile

If you have 2 people you can easily lower the engine using a large hydralic jack, one keeps the engine steady from above the other lowers slowly....

J
John H

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Gearbox Reply with quote

Hi,
I've pulled the gearbox out without pulling the engine. The main problem encountered was that I stuffed the fron engine mount and had to replace it. However, I replaced the 2nd gear synchro and gear (reasonably successfully) in the box, which now shifts reasonably well (meaning it's driveable and stilll goes like the "clappers". The kit for doing this was a couple of axle stands, a roof rack and chain to support the engine and a bruised chest. Apart from that, everything was reasonably easy.

Regards,
John H
UnknownPleasures
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
with the help of others on this forum ive taken out the box and im in the middle of tackling the 4th - 3rd and 3rd to 2nd synchro problem myself. opening the box you can see where the synchro rings have been worn down but you can also see the selector rings (not sure on the name but the rings with teeth that actually select the gear) are worn on 2nd and 3rd gear. im on a very tight budget so what i am going to do is change the 5th gear selector ring (that one is fine) and turn it around for 2nd and get a new part from alfa for the 3rd gear selector and of course new synchro rings.
ive been quoted ₤120 odd from alfa for the parts and they should be here monday. i cant wait to get stuck in and sort it out so i can have her back on the road. hopefully its gonna be like a brand new box and all the sweeter when i have done it myself and saved a fortune on labour!!
thanks for all those who have shared their knowledge.....
i'll let you know how she's running when i get sorted the start of next week.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: