Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

water leak

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garciaae
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: water leak Reply with quote

I own a 33 1.5 TI that has a water leak. I took out the air filter to see where it was, thinking that it probably will be the water pump... it wasn´t.
My 33 drops water by the top of the motor block (sorry for my english). I don't know how to repair it. Maybe soldering?

Take a look:

http://www.elalbum.com/show.php?op=titleAlbum&aid=111

Thank you
Scott Sander
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It could either be the large pipe going from left to right across the motor or it could be a corroded welsh/core plug. These are the brass circles in the block.

Drain the coolant and remove the pipe to see if it is split at all and check to see if the plugs have any holes in them, try lightly tapping them with a screwdriver to see if they seem ok.
Matt C
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: re: Welsh plug Reply with quote

I think your refering to the Welsh plug.
It has simply corroded through.

best way to remove these is to use a pin or drift punch. Simply knock in one side of the plug so as that the plug turns in it's hole. Being especially careful not to knock it all the way in. If you knock it all the way in you may experience a great deal of difficulty getting it back out. Plus the particular plug which is leaking has a very shallow cavity below it. be gentle wit the use of your hammer!
Clean up the edges of the plug hole with some sand paper or emery paper (only enough to remove any corrosion and previous sealant.)
To fit a new plug from experience i simply use one of the old plugs i knocked out (one which is in good condition) turned upside down with the use of a hammer (being careful not to damage new plug) and use a little sealant, loctite or permatex will do.

The plug is there to block up a hole which was used in casting the block.
Note: if 1 plug is corroded, 9 times out of ten all the other plugs are most likely in the same shape.
There are 10 welsh plugs in your engine!

If your not sure just take it to your local mechanic as this is not an expensive job.

hope thats of some help and good luck

Matt Smile
garciaae
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know the name of this piece. Is it possible to buy a new one at an Alfa Romeo official service? Perhaps in a scrapping...

Is the Welsh plug locked as a screw or simply pressure locked? (I think it is put in the block making some pressure)

If I get a new one, I could remove the old one not being so gentle, isn't it?

Do I have to drain the coolant to fix it?

Thanks.
Scott Sander
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yeah some coolant sits higher than these plugs in the radiator, so you would get water everywhere. You should be able to get them from a general auto shop, from memory they are 36mm, I suggest you measure them before you take the plugs out.

They should just tap in, as Matt said.

Have a look at the pipe first. Much easier to replace.
Matt C
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember this and you will never have any trouble!

It is Cheaper to be gentle/careful when working on a vehicle than being aggressive and rough. Things can get very expensive very quickly no matter how simple it may seem.

You tap one side and one side only, the welsh plug (which i think you guys call core plugs) will turn in the orifice, you don't want it to go all the way in at all costs!!!!! if you do this properely you should be able to then remove the plug by hand or pliers. It's alot easier than getting a huge hammer, smacking it in and then spending 6 hours trying to get it back out of the hole.
take care when getting new plugs as the ones you get out will be smaller than the ones you wish to put in, the one you get out will be squashed and be a fraction smaller.
You can leave them in there if you like, However coolant flow will be effected creating a Hot spot, something you dont want

i think from memory Scott is right, the plugs are 36mm. You can purchase these plugs at most automotive shops, just get brass ones.

Matt
garciaae
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: plug Reply with quote

I've bought a brass plug. I think it's a little bit big for the hole (36,75 mm). Tomorrow I'll try to find an exact one (36 mm) and to take as care as possible to take it out.

I will post some photos in the same place (posted)

Thanks
garciaae
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Exact diameter Reply with quote

I've removed the plug and measured it. Its diameter is 32mm. Is it possible?.

Thanks
garciaae
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Sucessfully repaired Reply with quote

For only 1€ and a lot of hours of reading it's again on the road.
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP Laughing

All the photos in:
http://www.elalbum.com/show.php?op=titleAlbum&aid=111
Scott Sander
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Looks like your coolant is due for replacement anyway.
garciaae
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 11:58 am    Post subject: Coolant replacement Reply with quote

I think so. What's the better way of doing it? ¿What do i have to care of (air inside circuit)?

Thanks.
ricardo
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: anti freeze Reply with quote

2 liters of antifreeze should do the trick...
first though check your other frost plugs for any sign of corrosion
if one has failed then chances are the other ones are also on the way out
the boxers don't tend to get airlocks just, just warm the engine slightly first with as much water as it will take and the radiator cap off ..then top up
cheers ricardo

alfatrofeo blog and interesting stuff .... unofficial ....
http://alfatrofeo.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: