Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

bigger brakes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LDA
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: bigger brakes Reply with quote

hey all,

right i've gone to the dark side and dumped my alfa power plant from my 33. i've got 260bhp of subaru flat 4 going in its place (as soon as i sort out a bellhousing for the gearbox) and the 16v 33 brakes were only just up to the job of stopping the 137bhp from the alfa lump.

are there any off the shelf kits?
i'm looking for 300mm+ discs and 4 pots if poss. fronts only as i'm using the subaru rears. are there any other alfa discs that would swap over to the 4 stud 33 front hub?
maybe some fiat parts?
the reason i'm asking rather than just going for a 4pot 310mm system off the shelf, is cost. i'd rather just get some new discs and pads and use second hand calipers than shell out hundreds of pounds on some nice new calipers.

anyway, enough of my ramblings.
thanks in advance.

L.
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that it helps much.
I heared 2 weeks ago, when it wasn't 1st April, that Alfa GTA front callipers will can go to 33, screw on screw, don't know is it true, and wheter it was for 156 or 147 GTA.
ChrisC
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: yoikes Reply with quote

Surely youre not planning to use an adaptor plate to mount to the standard gearbox???

Custom internals in a standard bellhousing?
LDA
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: yoikes Reply with quote

ChrisC wrote:
Surely youre not planning to use an adaptor plate to mount to the standard gearbox???

Custom internals in a standard bellhousing?

no not at all. using a 3.0 alfa 75 gearbox to the subaru rear axle and i'm having a subaru flat 4 to alfa 75 gearbox bell housing made up as a one off.

L.
Edward
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should know the answer on the brakes question very shortly, I have a set of 156 GTA front calipers on the bench that are about to go onto my 33. I have decided to go for bells and rotors as the width of a disk is 22mm on a 33 and 28mm on a GTA. Also the disc hight is 1mm different, so I have found this guy who will take all of the components, i.e the hub, caliper and wheel and machine up 2 bells to take a 304 dia rotor to fit into my 15" wheels. He will set everything up and make the brackets to fit it all together. I am seeing him mid next week with all the parts so should be able to let you know.

I don't know the cost for his bit - but the calipers cost me £150 second hand and hopefully the same for the rest. So hopefully if all goes to plan I should have a car that stops as well as it goes.

If you want to consider alternative disks have a look at a pair off a 155 twin spark. They are the same bolt pattern, about 280 dia and only 1 mm higher in overall thickness. If you get the brembo grooved disk and some red calipers they do look good but not too Citroen Saxo-ish. Remember there are 2 options on this disc and one fits and one doesn't.

There is a page on the web that is very good at identifying all of the different disk sizes for easy comparision. Another alternative is Lancia Integrale discs as they are bigger but will fit the 33 hub. And I think from memory you can space out the 33 caliper should you choose to re-use it.

Let me know if you want the page link.
LDA
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

top stuff ed, let me know how it goes and what the costs were by the time its all installed.
the page links sound useful.

hmm, i wonder if the lancia discs and calipers would just swap right over to the 33 hub? might go and have a chat with the lancia forum.

thanks for the help so far!

L.
Edward
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L.

That link is www.dba.com.au

It's a really good page but much better if you print if off.

Seeing brake man Tuesday.
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is also good link from Brembo for finding discs of right size.

http://www.brembo.com/ENG/Market/Catalogue/SearchCars.htm

You can make search by car model, part num or dimensions Smile

Here is pdf from OMP racing, all discs dimensions they make on few pages.
http://www.ompracing.com/prodotti.html?categorycode=GDISCHIFRENO&changelanguage=en
LDA
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks chaps!

L.
Matt Stolton
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Hi Spec Motorsport Reply with quote

You could do what I did with my car.

I used brembo twin pots from an Alfa 75 (don't bother with these pots as spares are rocking horse shite). However, if you take a strut (inc the wheel bearing), a wheel and a caliper of choice to Hispec, they will make the disc (source the appropriate discs any way) and the spacers to stand the caliper off the existing brake caliper mounting points.

2 x 285mm discs, two brackets (aerograde ali billet CNCed to shape) and a complete kit of correct tensile bolts to fit - about £230+ VAT.

Depending on your wheel size, they could get bigger diameter discs to fit.

They also do a nice range of calipers too. A lightweight 4 pot is about £150 +VAT each, and they do work. In retrospect, I should have just gone for that option rather than piss about with the Brembos......

http://www.hispecmotorsport.co.uk/index.htm

Nice people, who know there stuff.

Matt

Ex Alfa 33 'GTA' (P4 with Knobs On)
Now cruising in a 166 3.2 Ti!!
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is link to Budweg firm that renews old calipers, there are few pictures of AR calipers, and even spare part numbers for those calipers that you can order from them?

http://www.budweg.com/budwegweb/catalogue/caliperQuerylist.asp?psearch=alfa&Submit=GO&psearchtype=AND

Sorry Matt didn't find yours brembo, but there is somewhat similar ATE?
http://www.budweg.com/budwegweb/catalogue/caliperQueryview.asp?key=78116
LDA
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt, good thinking! i have the lightweight 4pot highspec calipers on my pulsar witht he alloy bell and steel rotor. they are 310mm and fit under 16" rims.

my alfa is goiog to be running 16" wheels so maybe i'll just go with the hispec kit.
i wonder if the calipers from the fiat coupe could me made to fit by highspec. they are 4 pot and would only cost about £150 for the pair.

best get ont he phone.. damn its after closing time.

L.
LDA
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh dear.
i spent loads of money again Rolling Eyes

i went for a set of billet 4 pot calipers from hispec in the end with 315mm rotors. also got a full set of SS brake hoses and some pads for the subaru calipers at the rear.
they are making up the mounts to fit the alfa hubs and with any luck i'll have the parts next week Very Happy

sadly hispec dont sell fly off handbrakes so i had to make do with a balance valve for the front to rear brake balance..
anyone know of somewhere that sells hydraulic fly off handbrakes? pref' with a long lever.

the project goes on.. and eats yet more money

L.
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi LDA, I did a post in General that explained a flyoff handbrake. Not that complicated to do. Good luck with the project.
Regards Eddie
kaBOOM
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Bigger Brakes Reply with quote

2 Combos I've seen:

1. Volvo 4 pot calipers, with Mazda E2200 Van Discs.

2. Holden VL Commodore Turbo Calipers with 3 Litre Misti Magna Discs

The best thing about those 2 upgrades is that the calipers bolt directly onto the standard Alfa 33 uprights. No mods required. All you have to do is get the correct sized disk with the correct offset.

I really like the idea of VL Turbo Brakes, since I've owned one of those cars, and the brakes are well, fantasic. They are (I'm told)the same brakes that where on the mid 1980's GM Corvette. Hell if those brakes can pull up a 1280 kg VL Commodore turbo (which is a rocketship of a car), they are going to have no trouble with a 910Kg Alfa 33! You also have to redrill the Magna Disks to the correct stud pattern.

The Volvo 4 Pots (off a V6 volvo of some type) are quite good, but the calipers are very heavy, resulting in lots of unsprung weight (not good). Also you have to make custom hubs up to attach the Mazda Disks.

A few people have talked about useing 4 Pot calipers etc off GTS-T/GTR Nissan Skylines, but alas nobody has actually done it.....
LDA
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well now i have the hispec kit on its way i'm sorta not looking anymore. but i have seen quite a few people use s14/s14a(200sx) nissan 4pot calipers on all sorts of cars. not super light calipers but quite light and they are easy to come by.

i had heard from the s13 (also 200sx) people that the volvo calipers were quite weighty. but again they were just a direct swap part for the nissan. seems volvos are quite useful as spare parts.

thanks eddie, i found the topic!

L.
kaBOOM
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Piccies..... Reply with quote

O.K, I took some photos (well 1) of the two brake calipers you can use (that are cheap and easy to get...lol) for your Alfa 33. All of them bolt up to the Alfa 33 front hubs with no mods required. The only thing you really have to do is get a correctly sized rotor, offset it to your needs, and drill out the required stud pattern.

* The one to the left, is a Std Caliper of a 1.7 Serries 2 Alfa 33. This suits the vented rotors

* The one in the middle is off a Holden VL Commodore Turbo. (The spare set for my VL actually!) Suites vented rotors.

* The one on the right is a Volvo 4 Spot, to suit vented rotors

One thing you have to remember is that unsprung weight plays an important part in how a car handles. The less the better. The Alfa Sud with its inboard front brakes has very little unsprung weight on the front, while the Alfa 33 with its outboard brakes does not have this advantage.

The lightest of the three calipers pictured is the VL Turbo one. They are actually lighter than the standard alfa 33 1.7 caliper, but not by much. The most weighty of the three are the volvo ones, think around twice as heavy as the VL Turbo caliper!

Just a little info!

I'm leaning strongly in favor of the VL Turbo brakes (hey look then I can purchase the same pads for my Girlfriends car, as my car!)

Any other idea's?
tinworm
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, after reading this thread a while ago I have put everything into practice. Started with a standard 33 brake system initially until needing brake discs and pads to replace the worn out fronts. Hmmmm. "can't get them", "what's wrong, too dear?"and "no mate, not available" get's a little tiring after awhile.
Now, I have acquired Mitsubishi Lancer discs (same, or at least, very similar to Magna) and adapted with a shrink-fit machined ring to locate the disc properly in the centre. Offset milled with a slot drill to change from 98mm. to 100mm. pattern as well as changing from bolts (wheel holding) to studs and nuts. Sounds funny I know, but Alfa, Lancia, Volvo, Fiat or whatever else 98mm. wheels are a little thin on the ground around this way, 100mm.p.c.d. are not, hence the change. Plus, I have the sixteen incher's handy Cool
As for the calipers, I came home with VT Commodore 5.7 litre jobs but now find they look a trifle overdone, they would suit quite large discs or at least larger than my 265 mm. ones. Maybe in the future....
I really should have got and will get the VN or VP (same as VL Turbo) ones as they are indeed very light. Lighter by far than the seemingly lead-filled Volvo four piston jobs that I unearthed under all my accumulated 'junk', scratch them off the list unless you're desperate.
Still a fair way to go yet with the Alfasud to 33 brake and strut conversion but getting there.
Man, I like these 'hands on' type of threads Laughing
Cheers.
1986 Alfa Sprint 1.5 QV
LDA
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good!

once you get your brakes working, let us know how well they perform. what master cylinder are you using?

L.
Ken McCarthy
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also interested in your progress. Please keep us informed.

Regards
LDA
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i've test fitted the kit to the car but as i havnt got new wheels yet i cant put them on at the same time as my wheels Rolling Eyes

the kit seems to fit well but i wont be testing it for braking power till october i dont think. still thats not too far away.

i'll report back when i've got them fitted and let you know how they do.

i've got basicly the same kit on my pulsar gtir. the gtir has a similar problem to the 33 when it comes to stopping. it does stop it just needs a bit more time. but not the hispec kit is on that it stops on the spot.

i hope with the light weight of the 33 and the large brakes it will be a very good stopper.

L.
Rees Cees (not logged)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are my front dishes and brakes
Bellamachinna
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi... Very Happy

What struts are you using???
Did they fit directly without any mods???
And the springs... Did they came with the struts?
By the picture, you can adjust your car height?

All the best
P.Camilo
Rees Cees (not logged)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bellamachinna wrote:
Hi... Very Happy

What struts are you using???
Did they fit directly without any mods???
And the springs... Did they came with the struts?
By the picture, you can adjust your car height?

All the best
P.Camilo

if you mean my car (on the picure) this is a group A racecar. the parts I have used are specialy made for citcuit racing and not for road use.

the Shockabsorbers are from KONI specialy made for my car.

Bellamachinna
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi... Very Happy

So you adapted your original struts, welding threads on them, to fit an adjustable bottom plate for the spring...
The top plate of the spring is also adjustable???

I find this info very important, because i will be changing my front dampers in the next week, and i dont mind spending a few extra cash to get the best i can...
Did you make all this (one off), or did you get the parts of the shelf?

All the best
P.Camilo
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Motorsport, Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: