Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

legal at last!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisC
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: legal at last! Reply with quote

MOT finally passed today, and the cambelts were done. The old ones didnt look too bad in the end, and although obviously visual indications arent much to go by, im choosing to believe this means they were done not too long ago and hopefully the car has been cared for!

So, just the cosmetic rust to deal with now. Gulp.

This weekend im going to remove and do a bad job of repainting the wing mirrors. Why is it that 33s and sprints seem to have these dodgy aluminiumish weird stuff for mirror mounts???
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats ChrisC,

Don't know why it is there, but it doesn't help with oxidation issues that our mirrors have.
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the old paint-the-wing-mirrors job. Wink

On both my mirrors the horrible aluminiumish weird stuff on the bases had oxidised underneath the paint, and I had to flake and sand the paint off and sand off all the white stuff before I could repaint them. It was a lot of effort to go to considering how useless the adjusters are on those wing mirrors! Evil or Very Mad
ChrisC
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: erp Reply with quote

Well at least I know now there should be something left once i set to em!

I dont have any nice alfa romeo script on mine though. maybe a stencilling operation is in order Smile nah!

Funny today, all the senior managers arrived for a meeting at work and were eyeing up each others cars and mocking the guy with a courtesy car (fiesta), then they were like 'wow, whose is that' when they came to the alfa. Must be about 1/30th of the value of their cars and it stole the show!
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cris, this is the Alfa's elan, eclat, mistique etc. Isn't it fun to have a car that you can buy for the price of a decent pair of Guccis admired by all and sundry. Enjoy.
Ben, I'm drooling over the job you did on the mirrors. So much so that I'm busy unbolting the mirrors off all four of our Alfas. They should be on your doorstep in the morning. Razz Razz Take your time ,I can spare them for a couple of days. Laughing
Seriously though, that's a class job. How you got the lettering so good is something you'll have to share with me.
Regards Eddie
ChrisC
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: hoho it gets better Reply with quote

Firstly, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I am still madly grinning my face off right now, over the simplest of things. On my way home from work a peugeot 206 (bog standard) was tailgating me. I recognised the car, as it had tailgated me previously and overtaken dangerously when I was in my shedmobile renault 5, and id not been able to do anything about it then. Not today I thought.

I was stuck behind a very nice looking old mini, which was great except for their consistent 40 through 60 limits and 30 limits alike. Approaching a dual carriageway section I saw the 206 getting ready to overtake, and as soon as it was clear I went to about as far throttle as i dared (mechanic advised 100 miles running after cambelt change, so still sticking to 4000rpm limit and light throttle), which was about 3/4 throttle. With a burst of noise the alfa just absolutely obliterated the 206. Literally id completed the overtake without changing gears or exceeding 4000 rpm and 206 person had just about managed to change lanes.

So, if this is what its like at this stage, I cant wait for another 50 miles to go Razz
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very encouraging for an old car to overtake newer ones at the blink of the eye ... Wink

... and too bad for the new car to be overtaken by an old one where the old one is usually looked down.

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie,
I didn't do a good job of the lettering, you just can't see much detail in the photo. Wink
I have a small paintbrush from painting model car kitsets, and I used some left-over white enamel paint for the lettering (ontop of the bumper black once it had dried). The lettering seems to be made of lots of separate pieces of plastic, i.e. not just printed on. That means there's a physical boundary between the letters and the rest of the mirror which makes it easier to paint.
That didn't stop me running out of patience and screwing it up, but I just painted over mistakes with black paint. Now if only I hadn't used black gloss enamel.... Rolling Eyes
LDA
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: erp Reply with quote

ChrisC wrote:
Well at least I know now there should be something left once i set to em!

I dont have any nice alfa romeo script on mine though. maybe a stencilling operation is in order Smile nah!

Funny today, all the senior managers arrived for a meeting at work and were eyeing up each others cars and mocking the guy with a courtesy car (fiesta), then they were like 'wow, whose is that' when they came to the alfa. Must be about 1/30th of the value of their cars and it stole the show!

got any pics so we can have a drool too?

L.
ChrisC
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: erp Reply with quote

Maybe this weekend - only done about 100 miles since getting the belts done and its filthy! itll need a good cleaning first. That and me getting a digital camera Very Happy
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum