Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Painting black exterior plastic trim

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evanbottcher
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Painting black exterior plastic trim Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I'm sure this topics has been done before, but couldn't find anything with the search facility. I'm keen to paint the black exterior trim on my car that has 'greyed' with sun damage. The front grill, wheelarch extensions, and the chin spoiler.

I assume it's a matter of a light sand, then paint over with a aerosol can of black trim paint should do the job - was wondering if anyone had any specific advice?

thanks,
Evan.
Bellamachinna
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi... Very Happy
From my experience with plastic paint job, i sugest that you clean (wash) the plastics, to remove all the dirt, grime, grease, sillicon based products, etc..After drying, use sand paper very gently, and use "plastic filler" to prepare your plastics for painting. After filling the plastics, sand then again to sofften any rough areas. Then you can paint then (the collor is up to you).
If you fail to do this, the finish, will be aceptable, but will have a very short duration. The paint will crack (Just by using a jet wash) leaving the plastics looking even worse.
Hope this helps
J.Oliveira
ChrisC
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: eh? Reply with quote

Are you talking about stuff that was previously painted or just faded plastic? If unpainted, the plastic alfa used seems to respond very well to black trim wax (turtle wax stuff used by me)
evanbottcher
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I mean the unpainted black plastic trim - see this photos of the car:

Clearly no turtle wax product is going to fix the big chunk missing from the front spoiler Smile

I'll have a look at my local 'supercheap auto' and see if they stock a wax specific for plastic trim - worth a shot. Otherwise thank you Bella that sounds like the right way forward with some black paint.[/img]
evanbottcher
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having posted that photo I can now see I also need to polish up the headlight surrounds and the black strips on the bumpers in the same way Smile
Kiwi Sprint
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I would have thought you can use some product on there to bring it back to Black...wait....sorry ACDC flashback. Laughing
but if you are going to paint ,I would use a good Automotive primer.,then sand back with fine Wet & dry sandpaper before applying a final coat.Some clear coat on top of this might also help.

Also if you are prepaired do experiment you could try using a Vinyl spray paint,I used some on the interior door panels of my truck.with superb results.The paint is virtualy a dye,& may also penatrate plastic.& its far more durable than normal enamal.

Previous alfas
94 155 V6
87 33 Ti
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about to make some of the 'black bits' red to match the colour of the car. I'm trying to colour-code them!

I'm gonna try a product called 'Plasticote'.... I'll let you know the results!

Rob
paddy granger
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used a thick primer, followed by plenty of wet and dry, and then I think the spray man probably applied another primer. We might have even smoothed the grainy plastic with wet and dry before we applied the first coat of primer. Can't remember. Very important to have a clean surface though, with no wax or silicon products.

For the top coat, we colour coded some paint to match the bodywork with a RAL colour chart, and then sourced some commercial vehicle grade Glasurit Line 18 paint. We had the possibility to order any paint colour from Glasurit back then. Good old days!

We found that the first coat wasn't very good though, as you could still see the rough, almost bristle effect of the bumper penetrating through the paint. We had to cut it back with wet and dry again, and apply another coat.

The advantage of this paint is that it is very very robust, very thick, yet with a great shine, and no orange peel at all. The coating is almost like latex, it is so smooth.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: