Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Solid lifter heads onto hydraulic tappet motor

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Solid lifter heads onto hydraulic tappet motor Reply with quote

Okay, I bought a $200 piece of junk 33 as a parts car.
It's a 1.7QV but somebody has fitted it with an old single carb motor, that has solid lifter heads with split lobe cams, where you adjust the clearances with an allen key or something. I've got no idea which variant of the boxer motor is in the car, but I presume it's a small displacement low power one.

I've also got a 1.7QV that has a 1.7QV motor, except the motor is a bit rattly because of cam lobe / lifter wear.

Can I take the camboxes, camshafts and solid lifters from the parts car and bolt them onto the 1.7 motor in my good car?
If I do that, will I need to get the cams reprofiled to suit the 1.7 engine so that I don't lose power? I believe the cam grind from the 1.7QV hydraulic tappet 1.7 engine will not be suitable for the solid lifter setup.
Anyone with any experience in this?

Incidentally, the $200 piece of junk car is a bit of a laugh.
http://www.axys.co.nz/ben/alfa33/LAWNM1.JPG
http://www.axys.co.nz/ben/alfa33/LAWNM2.JPG
Those streaks on the exhaust in the first picture are house paint. Perhaps the exhaust used to be someone's drain pipe!
Listen to the motorbike / lawnmower impersonation it does.
http://www.axys.co.nz/ben/alfa33/partscar.mp3 (374kb, 40-something secs)
Bellamachinna
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi... Very Happy

Looking at the pictures, it doesn`t look so bad... Confused .
As for the sound, it looks that it needs new plugs...
Why not build a track day car from it???
The cost can be forbiding, but like i said, why not????...
As for your question about the camshafts, i can´t help you, but i remember reading somewere that it is possible to fit solid liffters.
If your car, has a single carb engine, it can be an 1.3, an 1.5 or even an 1.2...This 1.2 engine is mostly improbable, because it was sold in very few markets. However this 1.2 was also an QV...The car was sold, with the same level of equipment of the 1.7 QV, but instead of 14`alloys it had 13`s with 165 tyres. ( bit like the 33 RED). The lettering on the back of the car was 33 QV (JUST) instead of 33 1.7 QV. I dont know if this 1.2 engine was sold in your country, but if it was, looks that you got another real QV...
All the best
J.Oliveira
rallyboy77
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben

Yes someone can probably explain better but the hydralic camshaft profiles are totally different from solid lifter camshaft profile they should not be interchanged.

As for the single carb engine... sounds like an old Alfasud engine. My understanding was they lost the twin lobe setup when the moved to the Alfa 33 (1984?)... although I bet some early 33's may still have the twin lobe setups. The best Alfasud engines didnt' make much power, let alone the single carb engines Smile

Jez
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those pictures don't show the flat grey spraypaint that has been used to touch up the body, all the missing parts of the dashboard, leaking clutch master cylinder, dead CV boots, bad rust repairs (some by me - bogged the sills to try to get through WOF..), water leaks, shuddering clutch, stuffed tail light lenses, etc. I took it for a WOF recently and it failed on heaps of stuff.. rear wheel arch rust, shock absorbers, play in the steering, rear brakes, a tyre, perished brake lines, excessive exhaust noise etc.
After careful consideration I've pretty much decided it shouldn't be on the road. Wink
paddy granger
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please describe the shuddering clutch problem?
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and if possible some photos from the bad points?

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shuddering clutch - when you try to slip the clutch to take off, the car vibrates. This is emphasised by the partly busted dashboard, which shakes and rattles like crazy. I assume the flywheel might need machining or something.
When the car is cold, it has hardly any power at low rpm and will take any opportunity to sputter and stall on takeoff, no matter how far you put your foot down. It's quite frustrating cos you have to rev the car to bits and make heaps of racket, and you can't rely on pulling out into gaps in busy traffic.
It might take me a few days to get some more pictures, as I currently only have the internet at work and my digital camera software isn't installed here.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: