Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

List of not working items in my S2 1.5 TI

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garciaae
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: List of not working items in my S2 1.5 TI Reply with quote

This is a list of things that work in a wrong way in my S2 33 1.5 TI:

Windscreen wiper: When the car has lights on, radio and some electrical charge the washer stops working in half of the windscreen. It has a regular 55A battery.

Fan heater: It stopped some day. If you put it on '1' or '2' position, lights decrease but you get no air.

Driver's seat ulphostery: Prince of Wales style seems to be Prince of Scrap.

Some rust: Next to both corners of the back door.

Explotions: In around 2000 rpm constant working you can hear some explotions. Maybe 95 unleaded gas?

Seems to die: When motor is hot and you have to brake in a fast way, motor seems to stop and no response from accelerator pedal. When it's hot seems to work bad at low revolutions turn.

Low revs and wet weather: The car doesn't go fine when the weather is wet. It seems to be as if only 3 cylinder were running. After that when you park it and take it in a while it goes fine.

Any suggestions will be important.
Thanks.
Ian M
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the electrical gremlins i would suggest you go around every earth terminal you can find and give a good clean.
also clean all connections on the fuses.
Engine dieing under braking is caused by the float levels in carbs being too low.
Wet weather thing?? Some cars just dont like the wet in my experience.
The fact that it goes ok after being stopped for a while is probably that the heat will dry any damp bits.
All i can suggest is that you spray leads with some kind of moisture dispersent.
The explosions you mention,is that with foot on the gas or on the overrun??
Rust? If thats all you got on car that age your doing ok
As for the seat,you gonna get wear n tear on a car that age.
Go round scrapyards and look for some more.
Hope this helps
Ian...
zp

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: re : wet weather misfires Reply with quote

hi

car running on 3 cylinders when wet? i'd suggest checking (and replacement if necessary) of the distributor cap.
and by the way, check ignition wires and spark plugs

zp
garciaae
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject: weather... Reply with quote

Quote:
i'd suggest checking (and replacement if necessary) of the distributor cap.

Is it necessary to do any adjustments when changing distributor cap or just plug and play?

Quote:
The explosions you mention,is that with foot on the gas or on the overrun??

The explotions are with the foot on the gas.

Quote:
Engine dieing under braking is caused by the float levels in carbs being too low.

Any easy solution for the floats on the carbs?

Thanks.
Ian M
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distributor cap is easy as you say plug & play...you might want to take the cap with you when you buy new one as there are one or two variants(bosch...marelli etc).
The explosions you mention I would imagine is pinking (metallic sound) under load....solution is I think to retard ignition timing slightly.
As for the carbs I would advise getting done by a professional if you are not confident taking them apart.
There is information on this sight on float levels etc,cant remember which icon its under though..
Ian M
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to float height information
http://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/carbjet.htm
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a similar problem (stalling on braking) on a carbed 1.6 Scirocco it was the fuel cut off needle valve on the carb float, it was not stopping the fuel and hence the engine would flood. For the cost of new needle valves(webber/delorto??) I would have thought that they may well be worth replacing if you are cracking the carbs open anyway as to me this would seen the more likely option as how do floats become unadjusted (porosity)?

The valves had failed due to no inline fuel filter and shite from the tank eroding the needle seat.
garciaae
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Seats Reply with quote

Are rails of series 2 and 3 seats compatible?¿What about alfa 75 seats?¿Do they fit in a 33? I've seen a lot of them at the scrapyard. I would like to put a series 3 or a 75 seats in my series 2.

What about onboard computer? (something more sophysticated than my alfa control). Does it help? Is it useful for anything?

Thanks.
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK from justsuds.com the Webber carb kit is £24 (I presume this is for both sides, if I’m wrong and each kit does one carb it would be £50 for the two kits, you would have to check).

I personally am a great fan of scrap yards but for fuel delivery I would use only new Webber/Dellorto service parts(you will definitely need new gaskets anyway). OR, buy a matched pair of 36/40mm carbs from a scrap-yard.

After reconditioning/replacing the carbs they will need balancing and tuning. If any of the second-hand carbs or parts are crap then you will have wasted your time in rebuilding the carbs and the money spent on getting them tuned.

Also if an inline fuel filter is not fitted, definitely fit one, this is essential, as the fuel tanks/lines are prone to rust.

As for computers the carbed 1.5 has no electronic engine management, just check the condition of the distributor cap, rotor arm, HT leads and vacuum advance line and replace if necessary(I think that if your distributor is not Bosch then the advance can be adjusted).

Yes the seats from the Series 3 can be put in a S1/2 (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Hope this helps!!
garciaae
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: Seats II Reply with quote

I've located a set of seats to replace mine ones. Are body panels compatible between series too?

Tomorrow I will replace distributor cap. Any advice?
Thanks.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: