Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

1.7 16V having a hissy fit

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: 1.7 16V having a hissy fit Reply with quote

My 1.7S has recently started emitting a loud hissing noise every so often. It sounds like high pressure air escaping from somewhere around the middle of the engine and it only happens at idle speed, particularly after you rev the engine a bit then let it idle. It happens only about once every 20 seconds or so which makes it very hard to trace, my mechanic thought it was an injector O-ring leaking so I replace all the O-rings and the rubber gasket at the weekend but it's still the same. Anybody got any idea what this is and where it could be coming from?
Whilst poking around I removed the oil filler cap and noticed a lot of pressure being generated in the bottom of the crank case, could this have anything to do with it or is this normal for these boxer motors?
Doesn't seem to have any further effect on the car's running, oil looks ok and it doesn't use much so maybe I shouldn't be too worried? Confused
Harri
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 16V made a hissing noise when the brake vacuum hose had a hole in it. i fixed it with some duct tape. Check the hose from the brake master cylinder. It should affect the running of the engine as well though.
2003 156 JTS Selespeed SW
Tim
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Harri. I will check it out but I don't really suspect the brake vacuum hose as it's only making the noise every so often rather than continuously Question
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also check injector.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: