Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

front brake discs

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexis
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: front brake discs Reply with quote

Question Guys,
I have modified my '79 Sud ti adopting the braking system of an '87 Alfa 33 1.7 ie. My question is if I can put ventilated Alfa 33 discs and is it is possible what modifications have to be done? Presently the 33 discs that I have are not ventilated.
Charlie
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 12:45 am    Post subject: 87 33 1.7 ie Reply with quote

I dont think the series 2 33 came as 1.7 i.e You probably have the braking system from a series 2 1.7 8v. The rotors on these are not ventilated. I am not sure of the availability of vented rotors for these brakes. I think your best bet is to get some cross drilled and grooved discs from EBC or Tarox or similar, they should produce brake discs for your system. Be sure that the brake system is off of a series 2 or 3 first though.
Hope this helps a bit

Spaghetti and Meatballs

33 16v elegante Smile
Matt Stolton
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: Yiou want s2 1.7 Cloverleaf calipers Reply with quote

The series 2 1.7 8V twin carb cloverleaf (at least the UK Version did) had the wider calipers and used a (i think 22mm) vented disc as standard.

Personally, I would also recomend red dot pads and discs as good alround stoppers, both for fast road, and for around town.

I would guess you got the calipers from a euro emissions spec injected series 2 (the rest of us were lucky and had carbs), which only had the standard width calipers (i think only 12mm from memory), which can only use solid discs. I don't know if such a version existed in your country, but they must have made some sort of cloverleaf equivalent, with the wider calipers and vented discs.

Matt

Ex Alfa 33 'GTA' (P4 with Knobs On)
Now cruising in a 166 3.2 Ti!!
Ketil-no

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to buy both the ventilated discs and the calipers.
(You can't modify a sliding caliper, or at least I don't know how))
Otherwise it's a bolt on job. The hose and master cylinder is the same.

This is how I did it on my 92' 33 1,7ie SW when I modified the front brakes to 16v spec.

PS: I thought that the serie 1 (and 2) 1,7 8v cars had ventilated discs.

Regards Ketil
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All mk2 1.7 had vented disks only the 1.5 hadn't in the UK.

The advanatage of non-vented is that they brake better cold but overheat quicker. If you are in the UK I have a set of vented disks and calipers.
Charlie
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: i will keep my distance in future. He He! Reply with quote

Sorry i was acting way above my station there. Embarassed

Spaghetti and Meatballs

33 16v elegante Smile
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: