Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Funny head sound.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 3:08 am    Post subject: Funny head sound. Reply with quote

I did my rebuild recently. Following that, I had funny loud vibration sound (more like low pitch ringing) exactly at 4500 rpm onwards. Some friends guess it is valves bouncing.

After putting in hot cams, the vibration noise is gone! But loud tappet noise is heard (tick tick tick tick...) on the same side of the head. Do I need to change the tappets cause they are really expensive. I have already wasted money on three sets of head gaskets already. Can someone advise please? Thank you.

Mine is the series 2 QV. With hydraulic tappets. Pls help.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I would guess the original noise you heard was pinking.

You should fit new followers with new cams, but many people dont. Hydraulic tappets are alot less flexible with reprofiled cams.

You should not get valve bounce at such low revs. My old 1.7 8V had the rev limiter at 6700rpm, and would quite happily do that without any sign of valve bounce (and Honda have had developement enignes running with conventional valve springs up to about 27000rpm)

All the best

Keith
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admin wrote:
Hi

I would guess the original noise you heard was pinking.

You should fit new followers with new cams, but many people dont. Hydraulic tappets are alot less flexible with reprofiled cams.

You should not get valve bounce at such low revs. My old 1.7 8V had the rev limiter at 6700rpm, and would quite happily do that without any sign of valve bounce (and Honda have had developement enignes running with conventional valve springs up to about 27000rpm)

All the best

Keith

Hi Keith! I forgot to add. The Ringing sound happens only when oil heats up. I guess makes noise when oil is thin. Tried different grades. same effect. As for the followers, they are bouble the price of BMW followers here. Would you have any suggestions? Or are the original followers worth it? Thanks.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: