Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

1500 to 1700

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itie jim

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: 1500 to 1700 Reply with quote

Hi, I just picked up another 33- a really tidy 1500ie with less than 25k on the clock. It really is a time warp piece. Only thing is, after the 1700 8V it's lacking a little something.... I don't really want to just drop the lump out and replace it as it really is in tidy condition. How easy is it to convert 1500 to 1700? Is it bore or stroke or both? Anybody got any ideas? I don't mind going to carbs if neccessary....

Any help is appreciated. Jim.
Pipster
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bore your 1.5 block to fit 1.7 pistons, replace heads, mainshaft,... and you're good to go. It's what they do in factory.
Itie jim

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: 1500 - 1700 Reply with quote

Cheers for the reply- so I just need pistons and heads. By mainshaft do you mean a jackshaft which runns the dizzy? Also as for the injection- I've got the single point, it's a 91 mk3. Can that be modified or am I better off just sticking dellortos on? Cheers, Jim.
Pipster
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my english thesaurus for car parts is not that great so I hope you'll understand what I'm trying to say.

First check if there were both versions 1.5 and 1.7 with the type of injection you have. I know it was so with the bosch motronic MP 3.1 unit.

Second you need 1.7 engine as a donor for the pistons etc. basically you change only main engine block and keep everything else from 1.7 engine. That way you get great compression. I belive that even the heads from 1.5 might fit onto 1.7.
Itie jim

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: 1500 - 1700 Reply with quote

Thanks for your help- your English seems very accomplished to me!Which is your first language- I speak Italian also if that helps!

Thanks again, James.
boxertricks
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi james
nice sounding car - any pictures?

imho it seems best to just get a 1700 complete with all bits/ engine loom- makes life so much easier and the result will be better/ cheaper (go 16v even?). that said i do appreciate its only done 25k so you dont really want to swap it out.

that said there are differing opinions on boring out a 1500, so best to read up and draw your own conclusions....you will need to bore and stroke the 1500 to actually get a 1700, otherwise if you just use the 17 pistons in the bored 1500 block you get an oversquare rev happy 1600, and also the block is a different casting so it seems the cylinder walls can end up too thin sometimes. if you actually want a 1600 it seems best to use the 1700 block and drop your crank in. usually people want the 16 to fit into class rules though...

good luck with whichever you choose anyway, cheers.

heres a few useful links:

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~alexj/motor/alfa-boxer-data.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?s=8a9f7b7b06a0af8f8564db6546abd2aa&t=8325

http://alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=6483
Pipster
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's another option, I got perfect 16v engine in totaly rusted 33 S. So i split the costs with my friend, he got the Recaro interior and I got the engine and transmission. 200€ later my 33 now has sedicivalvole (16V) under the bonnet, complete with new waterpump, cambelts, tensioners, sparks, HT leads etc... Before I had a 1.5 i.e. and I must say it's the cheapest tuning man can buy. Even chips for turbodiesels cost more money than this.
boxertricks
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha - very true, rust dead 33 's are so cheap its criminal!

plus you get all the other uprated parts -anti roll bars/ shocks / brakes etc....and if youre doing any serious work on the engine's youre already doing the same work as an engine swap.

i guess the trouble is, at what point with all the parts swapping, do you lose the essence of the 25k miles car?
Pipster
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not until when rust comes out around the petrol cap Laughing You can always put the old engine back if new one dies. Except if you sell it off like me.
boxertricks
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i agree - although once youve tasted the 16v nothing else will do!

as for the rust on the filler cap, that was factory fitted on all 33's i think, im sure its mentioned in the brochure!
Pipster
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank god they forgot to put it on mine. 1993 body
Itie jim

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: 1500 - 1700 Reply with quote

Cheers for all the advice, it looks like I'm going to have to find a 1700, 8 or 16 v to slot in.... Anyone in the midlands area got one??

I'm on hols at the mo so can't do photos, when I get back I'll put some on. It's a really nice 1 owner (two now) 1500 ie from 91. I think I'll keep it standard looking apart from a bit more rubber. A bit of a sheep in wolf's clothing!

Great links by the way. Jim.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: