Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Steering rack woes - HELP!!!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itiejim
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Steering rack woes - HELP!!! Reply with quote

I've got a 25,000 mile 1.5 ie which has recently started making clicking and cluncking noises when turning the steering wheel. I've had it jacked up and when you turn the steering wheel you can't hear or feel anything wrong. However, when you turn the wheel you can feel a steady clicking- just like the pinion turning over on the rack.... There's no play in the system it just feels horrible!

I suppose it's the rack, seems strange though on a car with so few miles. Anyone got any ideas? It's a powered rack and therefore has lots of pipes and stuff- any advice on changing/repairing/getting another one- is there a grease point on them?

Could have done without this......
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Strange symptoms for a steering rack ... I would advise you to check for the strut pan bearings located in the lower part of the springs. Could be wrecked and disturb the smooth movement of the steering bars.

Hope this helps

Regards

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering rack woes - HELP!!! Reply with quote

HI

if it clunks when you drive only turning left or just right then its proberly your CV joint on one of the sides, not the rack.just go for a drive and listen to see if it nocks when you go go a corner.
hope this helps you

regards john

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
evanbottcher
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like gritsop says definitely check the strut pan bearings - when they sieze up the strut tends to rotate the spring as you turn the wheel. The spring drags jerkily around causing that clicking. You might also find that when you steer into a tight corner that your steering tends to pull in that direction for a while afterwards - this is because the spring has been wound slightly in that direction.

I think you can check this by jacking up the car and then watch the spring as the steering wheel is turned - it shouldn't turn with the strut at all.
itiejim
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Steering rack woes - HELP!!! Reply with quote

OK guys, I've checked the struts as suggested- the springs aren't turning but the n/s strut bearing is definately the guilty part! Next question- any tips on changing it and where should I get the spares from?

Thanks for the help. Jim.
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You 'll need spring compressors in order to take out the spring from the strut. About the bearings it is a common part with the 164 so it is not difficult to find them at any AR parts dealer.

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: