Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Speedo

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
16v_sportwagon
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Speedo Reply with quote

The speedo in my 33 wasn't working when I got it, so I tried a speedo from a known working set of clocks - no improvement. So I've now swapped the gearbox sender as well - still no improvement.

Has anybody got any ideas for what to try next? Are there any test with a multimeter that I can do on either speedo or sender to confirm that they are ok?

Matthew

GLASS Lancashire Group
Bury Automobile Club
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you swap the speedo or the whole dash? Maybe dash console? Question
16v_sportwagon
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulhide wrote:
Did you swap the speedo or the whole dash? Maybe dash console? Question

Both, tried swapping just the speedo and the complete clock set.

Can anyone tell me which contacts relate to the speedo, and is it possible to put a meter in them to check the gearbox sender?

Matthew

GLASS Lancashire Group
Bury Automobile Club
ZeNiTh-PbArM
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

this topic has been discussed before.
some crappy contacts must kill the signal.
the 3-way connector for the gearbox sender is on the battery side.
the other connector (most likely to be the culprit) is the connector behind the cluster.
take a soldering iron and hardwire this, get rid of connectors and you'll never experience dead speedo again.

best regards,
zp
Ian M
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there
There is a connector block between the brake master cylinder and heater housing under the bonnet where the cable comes up from the sender .
Have you tried taking this apart and cleaning as this can sometimes be the problem.
The connector behind the clocks can also be a problem,try cleaning this as well.
I think it is the lefthand one as you sit in the drivers seat facing the clocks.
Hope this helps
the_angel
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've tried just about everything to get the speedo to stop dropping out all the time. And my bf says if they could figure out how to do this they would have the business of all 33 drivers in australia and would end up rich!

He says, and I quote,
"I have a low level diagram of the speedo and it looks to be one of the oscillating circuits. I believe one of the capaciters are going open circuit. I hope to confirm this in the next few days."

Mine has been on and off since I got it. Some days its fine. Others it drops every five minutes or so. Playing with all the dials on the dash seems to bring it back to life, although sometimes only shortly.
16v_sportwagon
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update this thread, I've now tried another set of clocks and the speedo works Very Happy Very Happy .

Though having spent a while driving with GPS and getting to know what speed = what revs the speedo does seem to be a bit optimistic, is this normal for Alfa speedos?

Matthew

GLASS Lancashire Group
Bury Automobile Club
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is normal for every speedo from mass production car on earth.
5-10% is normal for el. speedos, not that they can't be 1-2%, but because driver will drive a little slower when inside city limits.
Also driver will be more pleased to see it's car reach factory top speed and over more easily Smile
Speedo goes more optimistic as rubber on tires worn off, or if you put smaller diameter tires on car.

New mid class german cars have few tire dimensions inside ECU, which is to be changed when you change tire dimension, ie when you go from bigger summer to smaller witner tires.

Also bear in mind that engines leave factory with around 5% oscilations in power, which means that you can allways have engine unit with few kW less then stated by manufacturer.
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also bear in mind that engines leave factory with around 5% oscilations in power, which means that you can allways have engine unit with few kW less then stated by manufacturer.

From an Australian "Wheels" magazine article from 1985, testing the 33 1.5Ti and 1.5 gold cloverleaf:
"With this gearing and 71/78kW on tap you get into your first GCL or Ti expecting new-found briskness and tractability. The result, though, is less than convincing and, as is often the case with Alfas, subject to anomalies. The good news was the GCL we drove: it had less than 2000km on the clock and should have still been tight, but the 71kW engine easily trounced the supposedly more powerful Ti, recording consistent 17.7s over the 400m dash and in everyday driving feeling just as eager as any boxer-engined Alfa but noticeably brisker.
The Ti, with a lot more distance under its belt, couldn't break 18 seconds for 400m and at 120km/h felt that it had suddenly taken on the weight of six buses. There was nothing obviously amiss with the car but Alfa found us another Ti and this despatched the 400m test in a rather better 17.6 sec, though this car's in-gears flexibility still wasn't up to the liveliness of the GCL.

We don't know which performance of the three cars we drove for this story is the typical one; probably Alfa doesn't know either, if there can be this much variance."
Very Happy Rolling Eyes
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and more recent problems with 2.0 JTS engines lack of power

http://www.autoforumz.com/Alfa-Romeo-lack-power-style-156-JTS-ftopict61156.html
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then again my standard 1.7 gave 119 bhp instead of 117 bhp. With a stainless exhaust, more open intake and shaved heads for new head gaskets it gave 124 bhp! and this after 100,000 miles. Carried on to 172,000 miles and is still going.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: