Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

A case of dead speedo

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthe_W_allace (n/l)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: A case of dead speedo Reply with quote

all of a sudden my speedo has stopped working. Mileometer has stopped working too!

any ideas whether it is the sender in the gearbox or the actual panel which is buggerd?

Any way of finding out?

Cheers
Matthe_W_allace
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me again, haha ^^^^ Twisted Evil
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing to check is the connection from the sender under the brake/clutch fluid reservioir/main cylinder. Failing that I would connect a spare console and see if that speedo worked.
kaBOOM
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a CMOS IC in the speedo that will die if it gets the smallest spike. Why they used a CMOS IC, I will never know Sad

And don't think the IC is cheap, the cheapest (at least here) is $120.....

Other than that, the actual electric motor that moves the needle is a really poor design, it burn out coils all the time Sad
icky
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Remove the shroud off the instrument cluster and check the plug at the back of the cluster, left hand side from memory. They have crap terminal connections, if yours is one of the rare ones that haven't been soldered or screwed to the board it may be time to think about it. The other connection is as previously said, the little grey cable with a black connector under or thereabouts by the brake booster.

I take it that you have tried the age old cure of smacking the dashboard in various places and trying all the switches to see if it comes up, ( rear demister will bring mine up everytime..) If it does come back with a thump do two things. 1 is to mark where you hit, this will be handy later, the second will be to replace/check the connectors.

Try this before digging out the sender unit in the gearbox.

Hope this helps..
Cheers
lee16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Another thing to check is that the grey wire from the sender on the gearbox to the master cylinder region hasn't been damaged. The wire on mine came away from it's desired cable clips and rubbed through on the driveshaft Rolling Eyes
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is the same as paul hide. connection near brake booster(it's the three pin socket one) first due to exposure to dirt and movement, then conection to speedo (while you're there try to plug in another unit to test) .

Just fitted a 16v instru cluster into my gold cloverleaf. Interesting to see the evolution. Also solved the mystery of the two extra mounting holes on the S3. The original S1 had 4 mounting pts. And damn is the S1 plastic much superior. Amazed by the quality.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum