Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Lada Samara ripped off Alfa 33 styling?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmmoss
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Lada Samara ripped off Alfa 33 styling? Reply with quote

Hi there! Driving around in my new home of Townsville, Australia, I have seen a few Lada Samaras and have to admit I thought a few of them were 80's Alfa 33's. The Russian car was produced later than the 33, and from the front and back it has fairly striking likeness to the 33. My girlfriend even thought one was a 33, before I even mentioned it. Check out
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/359364
for photos and see for yourself!

Let me know what you think.

cheers
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some similarity there.. not in the dashboard though.

But jeez those communists know how to make a boring grey car. If they were allowed to make the tail lights and indicators grey too I'm sure they would!
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Here in Greece quite a few Samaras exist. However these are cars for low income/profile/education/social status people Laughing
If someone has a Lada then he is a person to laugh at! Cool

In addition whenever one is driving and close enough a Lada is located, then that person SHOULD be careful enough as mostly Ladas are driven by people who are a moving danger having 4 wheels Shocked
It is a typical example that these people are driving at most 40kms/h and they are prone to sudden fear on the road for no serious reason. They can even get off the road having seen that the front car has braked and the red lights have turned on Exclamation

Regards

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see little to no similarity, other than the obvious fact that they are both boxy!

If anything, the rear of the Volvo 340 has more in common with the S1 & 2 33's. Mad

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James "little or no similarity" is a surprising comment - loads of car makers take design cues from other makers. The Samaras tail lights are nearly identical. The Rover SD1 ripped off a Ferrari Daytona. The new BMW 1 Series has a likeness to the Alfa 147. I have always though 3 series Volvos looked like 33's and even the 146. (But which came first: the Volvo or the 33?) I guess if it was a something a bit more exotic than a Lada then people will be more ready to see a likeness.
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head on from the back there may be some similarity between the Samara and S1 / S2, but the similarity stops there.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures of your car James. Just a shame somebody defaced your 33 with spray paint! (no I am joking)
jmmoss
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmmoss
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lovely red 33.
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me (an old communist) give you capitalist bastards a small lesson Very Happy Very Happy...between 1970 and 1990 fiat worked with a load of eastern european countries in designing their cars...in some cases it only helped a company, like in the case of lada...in others in invented a whole new model that was sold under a different name. In turkey it was called the TUFAS and it looked like a fiat medra...In poland it was called FIAT Polski and it looked a bit like the alfa guilia....In Yugoslavi it was the Yugo....And in Spain it was SEAT (yes yes spain isn't in eastern europe)...Now the lada samara was also designed by FIAT, so alfa romeo features you see are actually alfa romeo features, just put under a different brand...For instance if any of you ever saw a lada 1300 you'd notice that it looks very very similiar to an ALFA 1750...Fiat is a company which is very badly regarded in northern and more economic nation where cars like bmw, volvo and VW rule. But for the southern cheap countries fiats were and still are perfect. Cheap to make and maintain, since almost all parts for an fiat uno go into the YUGO or the TUFAS...So there is your worst nightmare coming to life....Lada and Alfa do have more in common then u know Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil ...
and for all of you that do believe that LADA is the shieties car ever...plz dont...we owned one for 20 years in bulgaria...u can do anything with it...its a rear wheel drive car...u can shove a porche motor inside without a problem...u can fix it with only a screw driver...it really is a small perfect car
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1976 Lada 1300 sedan:

1970s Alfa Romeo Giulia Super:

Fiat 124:

Quote:
...In Yugoslavi it was the Yugo...

Can YOU go as fast as a Yugo? Very Happy
beli_the_king
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI to all
i owned a YUGO, LADA 1200, FIAT POLSKI , ZASTAVA 850 .....
and that all are very good cars, stabile and strong
speciali the LADA
its like a traktor
its the RUSSIAN MERCEDES
you can use it 30 years 24 hours a day
drive it every moutain up and down
my UNCLE buyed a LADA 1300 1972 the motor DIED last year at 1.359.xxx,00 KM
and like PIMP_DUDU says u can fix it with only a screw driver
like MAGGIVER Wink Razz
and the YUGO, on balkan it's used for RALLY, and there are GOOD, SH..T & FU..ED FAST but not FURIOS Laughing

BUT ALFA IS ALFA Twisted Evil
and 195hp are 195hp Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Still Ballin Till The Day I DIE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
paddy granger
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: in-house design Reply with quote

Pimp_Dudu wrote:
Now the lada samara was also designed by FIAT, so alfa romeo features you see are actually alfa romeo features, just put under a different brand...

The Lada Samara's body was actually designed by AvtoVAZ, and the engine by Porsche. AvtoVAZ also sent a prototype body to Porsche for windtunnel testing. They couldn't afford for Porsche to design the full body, so they decided the best way to design the car was to receive feedback based on the windtunnel results on what needed changing. AvtoVAZ set out to produce the front-wheel drive car, code-named VAZ 2108 in 1978. It took six years to reach the production stage. The lead designers of the ВАЗ-2108 / Samara / Спутник (Sputnik), were Alexsandr Karlowicz and Victor Vladimirovich.
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my first driving lessons in an old beige Lada 1300 (Fiat 124 style with chrome bumpers), sitting on my father's knees steering and changing gear. I was about 5 at the time! It used to belong to my grandfather and he had passed on to my mum for her first car. It was a good design and very reliable. We eventually sold it and replaced it with a Uno back in the mid-eighties. Laughing

How times have changed! Laughing

@ Pimp dudu - the Lada Samara bodywork (developed for the 1984 launch) has nothing to do with Fiat or Alfa. Fiat didn't even own their Alfa share at the time. See Paddy's post.

@ Ben_nz - isn't it "Can I go as a fast as a Yugo?"
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

then why did our old samara have originial components made in italy???Of course everything else was russian....but i'm almost 100% sure of lada being in coabiration with fiat...since the fiat polski was a mixture between fiat and lada
paddy granger
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, there is a heavy relationship, but FIAT were not involved with the Samara. FIAT signed a contract with the Soviet government, regarding the build of the new AvtoVAZ factory. The contract included shipping the tools, starting the production. FIAT also sold the license for producing the Fiat 124, which had been the Car of the Year in 1965. 660,000 cars were planned to be produce per year, in the factory on the bank of river Volga. The LADA variants of the 124 include the 2101 for example.

This is why it is common to see tuned LADA's with twin cam FIAT engines!
Matt Stolton
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: Nothing to do with Fiat???? Reply with quote

If it has no influence from Fiat at all, how come it uses 4x98 PCD wheels? Surely a wheel size unique to Alfa/Fiat/Lancia, as no other (non italian) bugger uses that PCD, except Ladas.....

I think it looks nicer than the Arna......

Matt

Ex Alfa 33 'GTA' (P4 with Knobs On)
Now cruising in a 166 3.2 Ti!!
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anything looks nicer then an arna...even a Donkey
GaryUK

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiat used to sell all the manufacturing machines (presses, casting moulds etc.) at the end of the production run of a car model to other manufactures Seat, Lada etc. So the car would be manufactured on the same equipment elsewhere and rebadged but basically the same ie Fiat Panda - Seat Marbella

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, what's wrong with donkeys?
Marcin
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pimp_Dudu wrote:
....but i'm almost 100% sure of lada being in coabiration with fiat...since the fiat polski was a mixture between fiat and lada

"Polski Fiat" was not a mixture between Fiat and Lada. Polish government bought the license to build Fiat 124/125, which became Fiat 125p ("p" from "polski" = "Polish") and Fiat 126 to become Fiat 126p. The only connection with Lada was probably that the russian government gave permission for buying the licence. They just wanted to make sure, that Polish people don't drive better cars, than the party comrades.

B.T.W: did you know, that the production of Fiat 126p continued until 2000! There are plenty of them in Poland.
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so it wasn't a mixture but they still have things in common...the thing is that sooo many companies work with each other that u jsut loose track at some point...volvo has renault engines...lamborghini is german etc. etc. etc.
ns
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,all

I don't know what are similar did you find between Lada 2108 (2109) and AR 33, but no russian even think about that. These cars are too different.

I lived in Russia and drive lada, now (in NL) I have 33 16v and can say that I trust my Alfa and never change it even for new Lada. In Russia when you buy new lada you need go to service and make reparation for additional money, because reparation by garauntee can take 3 monthes and more. In service mechanics know all week points of car which depends on years and there is no improvement in that.

From my point of view volvo 440 has more similar form. Question

With kind regards,
NS
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to get in my two pennies worth. I could only discerne a resemblance through the reverse end of a telescope at a 10k distance. Ladas may be tough and reliable etc but they were very derivative and any vaguely similar lines in the Samara are very coincidental. They also shopped for expertise wherever they could find it as witness Range Rover engineers designing the suspension/transmission layout for the Niva. Sorry, I don't see the resemblance.
Regards Eddie
norbee
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ns wrote:
Hi,all

I don't know what are similar did you find between Lada 2108 (2109) and AR 33, but no russian even think about that. These cars are too different.

I lived in Russia and drive lada, now (in NL) I have 33 16v and can say that I trust my Alfa and never change it even for new Lada. In Russia when you buy new lada you need go to service and make reparation for additional money, because reparation by garauntee can take 3 monthes and more. In service mechanics know all week points of car which depends on years and there is no improvement in that.

From my point of view volvo 440 has more similar form. Question

With kind regards,
NS

You know all, may the russians had stolen the design of 33, but it is our luck! Wink For example, the Samara's and the 33's plastic sticks of the drape are the same, and still available, as a replace part Smile

(33, 1.5 4C, 105 HP, 1986)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum