Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Tried to do a service on my 16v! BLOODY HELL!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthe_W_allace
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Tried to do a service on my 16v! BLOODY HELL! Reply with quote

This is the first DIY service I have done to my 33.

Oil filter was the most awkward I had ever seen! Ended up knocking a screwdriver through it and took me 45 mins to get off!

Spark Plugs were unchangeable. I couldnt see a way of getting to them without taking the engine out!

Can someone tell me they have the same problem or am i just being clumsy????

Any alternatives would be appreciated!
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, tis a bit of a pig, though a strap-oil-filter remover normally gets the filter off okay; otherwise the screwdriver method normally works very quickly. For the plugs a half inch ratchet with the angle adaptor is the perfect length to get the plugs out reasonably easily. Smile
Ravi
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only imagine how much harder the 1.7's would be to work on!! The 1.5ti is hard enough!

There's nothing like the twin overhead cam Alfetta blocks as far as the DIY services are concerned!! So easy and so much room!

R

Looking to upgrade to a 16v?...
Edward
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Paul - just bang a screw driver through the oil filter and do it that way. Watch out for the oil leaking out all over the place as well as the threaded connection that the filter joins onto, but easily the best way. Regarding the spark plug removal there were special tools supplied with all 16v cars - that include a small box spanner and a ratchet handle to remove the plugs with. These often get lost as a lot of owners don't realise what they were for and I guess they thought they were just some general tools. A lot of owners would not have put 2 and 2 together and worked out what they were for. You do come across them from time to time dumped under the spare wheel of peoples 16v 33 where they did not know what the purpose of them was. I have a couple of sets but I hardly go looking for them at spark plug time because the right socket with the right bar will do just the same job. A variety of tool that seem to do the same job but are different shapes etc seems to be a good way forward the more I end up fiddleing with my cars.

Occasionally I have toyed with the idea on the track car of drilling holes that correspond with the spark plug postions through the body that come out in the wheel arch - but to do this the holes would go through the front chasis rail - so perhaps not - I will just continue to struggle with sockets and small gaps!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: