Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

16v conversion - wiring questions

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich B
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: 16v conversion - wiring questions Reply with quote

As you'll have seen from my other post, I'm attempting to put a 16v engine in my 1.7 IE.
I went to look at the engine and car its come out of the other day - engine looks ok, no leaks or anything and the car it has come out of was absolutely mint which suggests the whole thing has been well looked after.

What I wanted to know was how much of the wiring loom do I need for the conversion? Obviously I need all the wiring from the ECU to the engine, but do I need any more? eg the bit that runs from the offisde under the windscreen, past the heater matrix and towards the battery?

This job would be a lot easier if I could take the whole car with the engine in it but its not going to be possible.
I know some of you have done the conversion with a carb car which must be more complex than what I'm trying to do.

Could anyone post some pictures of their 16v engine bay to give me hand? Details of the nearside would be good showing the ignition coil and on the offside showing the throttle cable and where it mounts plus the air flow meter.

Any other info would be much appreciated.
Thanks very much
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey Rich! That's involved!!! Laughing

Let me know if you need a hand one weekend!!!

Bob
Rich B
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bobber

Aren't you on the 145 forum too?

I think the job I'm doing on my 33 isn't as complex as it sounds - far simpler than converting a carb car to 16v spec anyway! From what everyone has said, its well worth doing, I find my 8v great to drive but it could do with a bit more go - I nearly bought a P4 when I got mine and always regretted it and have therefore spent loads of money making my 1.7IE up to P4 spec including rear disc conversion, P4 interior, alloys, side skirts, colour coding etc - would have been cheaper to get a P4 but I got a bit sentimental!

Yours looks good, bit rusty though!

Good luck with the renovations!
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheerz Doode,

I'm going to sort the "rusty bits" out soon.

Just a question of finding a decent body/spraying shop in my area.

Let us know how the 16v conversion goes.... will you be fitting 4x4?

Bob
Sprintervention
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking into a 16V conversion for some time, I haven't looked at it for a while but from memory the 16V engine loom is basically self contained.

I have to admit that I was looking to use a different ECU so I wasn't too worried about the wiring to the instruments etc, there are only a couple of connections I think anyway.

Also you will need the relay/fuse block that powers the fuel/injection/ecu.

I have a wiring diagram if that helps, let me know if you want a copy.

Good luck
Chris
Rich B
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice and encouragement chaps - the engine won't be going in til the weather gets a bit warmer but in the meantime I'll change the cambelts, tensioners and clutch and give a good checkover.

Sprintervention, is the fuse block different on the 8v car? I didn't even think about that. As you say, the engine loom is pretty well self contained so I should be able to join this to the existing loom and hopefully all will be ok.

I'll try to post a load of stuff when I do the conversion and include some photos if I get round to getting a digital camera by then. Maybe I could produce a manual for anyone wanting to do the same - it was a sod finding an engine though, took ages!!
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you say, the engine loom is pretty well self contained so I should be able to join this to the existing loom and hopefully all will be ok.

Hi Rich

the loom from the 16v just needs one constent live and one ignition live.to power the ecu relay and the fuel pump relay.i kept the loom with the engine when i took it out of the car.so i didnt forget any wires.will try and remember what other wires you will need.i think one for the rev counter to the coil?
hope this helps abit. mines still dead.think i will have to get an alfa man on it now.cant see the wood for the trees Crying or Very sad
regards john

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
Sprintervention
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

as far as I know the main fuse block will be the same, what you need is the small fuse block, 1 fuse and 2 relays clipped together (from memory). It will be pretty self explanitary I think when you see it.

I expect that the flywheel on the injected 8V has the 60-2 configuration for the crank sensor, if not then you will need that and the sensor itself.

As said previously the ECU and engine loom only need the main positive and negative feeds fitting to get the whole lot going. These are easy to identify and already have eyelets crimped on as standard (at least I'm sure mine did).

Regards
Chris
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum