Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Sport suspension for my Imola?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
33Imola

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Sport suspension for my Imola? Reply with quote

First of all: sorry for my bad english!

I live in Norway and drive a AR 33 Imola 1994 model. No one over here can help me get some new shock absorbers for my car! Not even the original! For the 16v it's no problem, everyone can get all sort off absorbers for that car, Koni, Bilstein etc. But for the Imola: No absorbers!

My question is: is there anyone who knows where to get absorbers for the Imola on the net?

Best regards from Norway!
Rich B
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

We didn't get the Imola model in the UK, but I think it was a very late version with a 1.3 engine, rear spoiler, 16v sill covers and a fake leather/alcantara interior using the same seats as the early 16v cars.

If I'm right, these cars will have the 3 bolt strut tops, rather than the 4 bolt ones on earlier cars (incidentally, does anyone know when it changed? - my car was built in March 1993 and has 3 bolts, a car I looked at recently was a late 1992 and had 4 bolts).
I would think that any shock absorbers made for a 33 would therefore fit your Imola, as long as they were for a later (3 bolt strut top) car.

Hope that helps

Rich
ZeNiTh-PbArM
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

the Imola has lowered springs (factory fitted).
the springs are not equal in strength with 16V but are equal in length. shocks from a 16V will happily go in an Imola.
shocks for "high" suspensions (all cars but 16V and Imola) will give huge negative camber at front wheels, quickly wearing the inner part of the tires out and giving poor handling on wet pavement ; and rear shocks will be noisy due to improper length.

all series 3 33s were fitted with 4-bolt pattern struts before 92 ; later models were fitted with 3-bolt front suspension. beware when ordering your shocks! check twice to be sure. note : koni shocks supplied for 33s are not a direct fit and require some drilling / hacksawing to adapt the new cartridge to your old shocks.

besides, if your car is of the old 4-bolt type, be sure to buy new strut pan bearings as they're likely to spill out their balls during dismantling operation.

regards,
zp
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: