Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

33 or preferably Sud wheel bearings

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lesthegringo
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: 33 or preferably Sud wheel bearings Reply with quote

Guys, after a long break from Alfas (I am living in Hong Kong at the moment, so no Sprint - Boo hoo!) I'm trying to use my time on some sort of car and alfa related stuff.

I'm designing and building a car using a mid-mounted 16v boxer and 'Sud gearbox, brakes, driveshafts and hubs and wishbone suspension. The front end is a rehash of the spaceframe from Ron Champions 'How to build a sports car for £250' so (whisper it) it has ford cortina front hubs and carriers.

At the moment I'm using the 'Sud front hubs at the rear coupled to a fabricated hub carrier, which then links via two posts and rose ends to the upper wishbones. At the bottom, the standard 'Sud front lower balljoint is bolted onto a fabricated wishbone, and connects to the hub in the standard way.

It all works well, insofar that I've not yet had a chance to drive it! The problem is that it is HEAVY!. The 'Sud hub is a chunk of cast iron, and the additional weight of the hub carrier makes it far too heavy for what it needs to be.

I would like the dimensions of the 'Sud or 33 front wheel bearings (I believe the inner diameter is the same) so that I can completely replace the unit by making a combined hub and carrier.

I would measure the bearings in my own hub but for a couple of problems, ie
1) they are built into the hubs and I don't have the tooling to disassemble them and
2) they are 8000 miles away stored in a box in a friends garage in Portugal.

It is the latter of the two problems that is most difficult to overcome, so I would appreciate if anyone who has some bearings, even if they are knackered, could just measure them I would be eternally grateful. Rough measurements are ok, to the nearest millimetre or so, as I can look up catalogues for the exact measurements.

If anyone is interested I have photos and CAD files of the 3/4 completed car and 16v engine

Les
Bellamachinna
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Les Very Happy

Long time!!!!
Great to have news from you. By the looks of things, you still didnt finish "the Barchetta"...
Unfortunatly, i can“t help you, but when i saw your post, i just had to say hallo...

All the best
P.Camilo
rjbevan
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems a bit of an overkill. I have a Clan Clover with the Sud engine mid mounted. The original cars used the Alfa upright and hub carrier with a lower link. Problem is that it doesn't hold the rear square. Mine has been modified to still use the alfa upright but with a lower wishbone using rose joints. The car was used as a prototype for the racing Clan Clover so it's quite light and handles well. Unfortunately I don't have any photographs (and it's too cold at present to go out and jack the car up!).

HTH

Richard
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: