Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Differential interchangebility?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Differential interchangebility? Reply with quote

Dear all. Some ratios come in 9/35 some in 9/37. Is the crwon gear interchangable? 35 to 37. without changing the pinion(9)?
Vecchio Alfisti
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Serpent33
I cannot say for certain if you can change the crown wheel without changing the pinion, but usually the centre distance between the two gears is fixed and the crown and pinion are paired to fit that cd. Also there are tricks used during assembly such as shimming to achieve correct meshing to overcome errors made during manufacture to achieve the correct centre distance/meshing. The gear pitch will be the same but if the match is incorrect you could be driving only using the tips of the teeth, and they will fail quickly. Alternatively, you may end up with too deep a mesh in which case the teeth will interfere with each other and this will also contribute to a failure as well as a lot of friction.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful but good luck and tell us how you go.

John
ZeNiTh-PbArM
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

no way you can interchange crowns.
number of teeth is not all.

take two normal (ie not conical) gears : if the ratio is 9/35, and distance between axles is D, the contact point between gears is at D*9/35 from one axle and D*(1-9/35) from the other.
if you have 9/37 ratio the contact point changes location, the gears change diameter. so there is no way to match a 9 teeth from a couple to another.

The same applies to conical gear with crossing axles, considering the angle at the contact point location

It also applies to hypoid gear, but calculations are a bit more tricky.
(i checked myself to be sure!)
By the way, did you notice, Alfa crowns have the ratios stamped on them, not only the teeth number. This helps at identifying unknown crowns.

regards,
zp
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys. So even they do fit and have no problems meshing together(by turning with the hand) . You reckon It'll encounter problems running.

Bad news is I have assembled them already. I'll have to decide what to do with it.. Confused
ZeNiTh-PbArM
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

yes it'll turn "by hand" but you can feel serious rattling in the hand when you turn gearbox axle.
i never tried to apply 90+ HP to such an assembly but i strongly believe you'd blow everything to bits the first time you let the clutch in.

regards,
zp
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Now my day has gone really bad. Embarassed
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: