Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

FLY CUT PISTONS?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dicko
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: FLY CUT PISTONS? Reply with quote

Has anyone used fly cut on 8v pistons, like this...? to allow for high revs and/or compression hike???

Has any one seen this type of fuel pump, sold as "Auto Delta" one off(?) .....off ebay??? Neat motor hey??

The only way tolearn is to pull it apart! Wink For anyone interested. Clickto enlarge.

Sprintervention
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1.7 8V that has what appear to be fly cut 16V pistons. I will post a picture if I ever get round to it. I don't know how well they worked as I bought the engine as a non runner and have not got round to sorting it yet... Like most things really!

Never seen this type of fuel pump , but it looks pretty smart to me.

Best wishes
Chris
Sprintervention
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the pistons again... they would actually lower the compression ratio, I wonder if the heads have been ground down a bit. What size is this engine, 1700? are the heads flat faced or do they have combustion chambers in them?

Looks pretty sweet!

Chris
Dicko
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: 1500cc... TAPPETS??? Heads??? Reply with quote

Its a 1.5L, 84mm piston size. Id like to say I knew more about these motors while I had this one appart to completely compare against an original, the head or block was definately skimmed. Cant remember what the builder told me. I will try to measure this some time.

There is a photo you can enlarge of the heads. It looks like there is a dimple of a combustion chamber, enought o make the valves flush. Im yet to pull apart a 1700 , are the heads much different???

I had to strip the motor to take 1 mm of the end of the inlet valve stems, to be able to get the correct tappet clearence. Uprated valves have been used, however once again I didnt measure diameter.

That reminds me??? I was told to run tappet clearence at .10 mm higher than normal with this motor, anyone do the same. Apparently to cater for cams, skimming, balancing (high revs) etc.???

The heads have been match ported. Apparently too the crank balanced and fly wheel lightened.

ANyway... Finaly got a 2" exhaust, cut my ANSA crossover Manifold short and welded a new straight through,..... iits Loud!!!! and crackles like buggery... I like it.

The motor now revs up to the limiter no problem( maybe to be removed)... no strain, smooth... all the way through.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum